Play the games, create the levels

Topic, Programming Contests

Checkout our iPhone & iPad games!

You must register or log in to post a message.

manufan 12 years ago
  I entered, make that three.
SimonM 12 years ago
  I do get it, but I think this doesn't fit on this site. The actionscript 1KB contest has never been finished only 2 people had an entry and it was a bit of a joke.
manufan 12 years ago
  Oh dear, none of you get it. :P
jasperpostema 12 years ago
  Please finish your game, I will explain later :P
SimonM 12 years ago
  So I get a medal when I finish my game for BL?
manufan 12 years ago
  No. It has been "raped", then rubbed in the mud, followed by trollface'd.
SuperDog 12 years ago
  this topic has been trollface'd already
Elizea 12 years ago
  I agree ferrari!

trololol
Ferrari12 12 years ago
  Elizea: It would've been worse of you agreed with me if I was disagreeing with you :]
gameinsky 12 years ago
  And I agree with what Elizea said just under me.
V
manufan 12 years ago
  Well, maybe make the topic like the NG Flash Portal, with a vote, like the contest, and that seems sufficient.
Elizea 12 years ago
  I agree with Ferrari agreeing with GIS who agrees with me.

Wait... what?
Ferrari12 12 years ago
  I agree with GIS.

Also, everybody can, to a certain degree, make a level. Not that it's guaranteed to be a good level, but it's a level and can therefor be entered in a level contest. Not everybody can program anything at all, making them unable to enter the contest. And that's quite bad.

In addition it would serve more use to the BL community if programers were competing in making the best game, rather than the best calculator.

And if it's so important that people using other programing languages should be able to show off, can't you just make a topic sorta like Allyally's old Google Sketchup-topic, with the defference being that you display stuff you've coded instead of stuff you've created? (WTF, long sentence!!!)
manufan 12 years ago
  You have got many points Elizea, but I would still like both, and not just one.

Also, I'm sure we could have a 'mod' contest, and then 'mods' will be in extinction for entries.
Elizea 12 years ago
  Or a game might be awesome, but a calculator might be rubbish. Your argument is invalid.

1. With the same idea bonuslevel has 200 level designers but only 10 enters a contest. Count from that.

2. You really want a mod for minecraft to win a BONUSLEVEL contest?

Why do you expect that people would have more interest to make awesome contest show off things than awesome games?
gameinsky 12 years ago
  I'd prefer games over a programming contest too.
manufan 12 years ago
  Well, I don't mind either one, it's quality I seek, a game might be rubbish, but a calculator might be awesome! Here are the problems with your question though:

1. BonusLevel has few programmers, but not like 3 or 4 of them. It's more like 12 of them, which is plenty for a contest of my liking.

2. Games can only be submitted in two different languages, and so some programmers are unnoticed, such as SuperDog, he is creating a mod for Minecraft.

But, if you want an answer, it just depends on quality and not the type of thing it is.
Elizea 12 years ago
  I repeat:
"Do you prefer new games or show off stuff ("see what I can do") from our very few programmers?"
manufan 12 years ago
  Yes, but games are only available on BL in two different languages. These contests will let you submit whatever you want in a wide variety of languages.
Elizea 12 years ago
  I must ask you one thing.

Do you prefer new games or show off stuff ("see what I can do") from our very few programmers? Also, making a game is a bigger achievement than winning a contest.
manufan 12 years ago
  Yes, but some people cannot stand a chance in level contests, and so it gives us programmers a reward of our own, if you know what I mean.

If this gets accepted, we could have 2 different contests running at a time (of course with different coding languages). The contests will not include scripting or server-side languages (PHP, HTML, etc.)
SuperDog 12 years ago
  mebbe... it doesn't sound too bad an idea, just unfair for people unable to program like me. i could enter with my minecraft mod though...
manufan 12 years ago
  I think after the Actionscript 1KB Contest, there should be more programming contests as well as level contests, so that programmers can show off their talents. Post your say here whether we should have them or not!

Yes:
SPOILER

No:

[1]

General

First post of the topic

manufan 12 years ago
  I think after the Actionscript 1KB Contest, there should be more programming contests as well as level contests, so that programmers can show off their talents. Post your say here whether we should have them or not!

Yes:
SPOILER

No:
Our free flash games   Games for your site   Games for your iPhone   Contact   Twitter @jpsarda & @bonuslevelorg