Play the games, create the levels

Topic, Math Whiz Quiz Game V2

Checkout our iPhone & iPad games!

You must register or log in to post a message.

Ferrari12 11 years ago
  Finally, a new question :)
Ferrari12 11 years ago
  Correct, but unfortunately I don't have time to add a new question now.
nelson90 11 years ago
  x^2-4x+3=(x-1)(x-3)
R(x) can be shortened if x=1 or x=3 is a zero of x^3-4x^2+6x+a
x=1: 1-4+6+a=0 ==> a=-3
x=3: 27-4*9+6*3+a=0 ==> a=-9
Ferrari12 11 years ago
  Correct, new question up!
SimonM 11 years ago
  line through A and B y = -2x + 1
Then the line that is perpendicular to y = -2+1 is y =1/2x -3/2
Then the intersection between y=1/2x-3/2 and y=-x+4 is C.
x=11/3 and y = 1/3 thus C=(11/3, 1/3).
nelson90 11 years ago
  Thanks F12 :)

I have solved the problem, but I won't give the answer now, because I don't want to be the only one to play your game (and btw to kill its great interest). I feel I'm a bit advantaged because I am living in the same time zone than you, challengers may be sleeping, at school or working at the moment. Let's give them a chance to participate!
Ferrari12 11 years ago
  From what I can understand, your explanation looks quite right to me, so I'll award you the four points unless anybody puts in a protest. The 2nd answer is spot on :)
nelson90 11 years ago
  1.) I hope my demonstration will be understandable, my skills in English are much lower than in Mathematics :)

A rational number can always be expressed as the ratio of 2 integers p/q, p and q having no common divider. Let's assume that sqrt(2) is a rational number. Then, it should be possible to find two integers p and q such that sqrt(2)=p/q ==> 2q^2=p^2.
This equation means that p^2 is a multiple of 2. If 2 is a divider of p^2, it must be a divider of p. Then, we can write p=2r ==> p^2=4r^2.
2q^2=p^2 ==> 2q^2=4r^2 ==> q^2=2r^2.
Consequently, q^2 is also a multiple of 2 ==> q is a multiple of 2. Since p and q must have no common divider, sqrt(2) is irrational.

2.)
x=t^2+2t = t(t+2)
y=t^2-1 = (t+1)(t-1)
x is zero for t=0 and t=-2
y is zero for t=-1 and t=1
There are 4 intersections: (0;-1) (0;3) (3;0) and (-1;0)
Ferrari12 11 years ago
  Simon, how do you suggest I write the integral sign? (It may have a name, but I know nothing about integrals at all) If you can give me an explanation on that, then I think I could give you one or two questions about integrals. :)
Ferrari12 11 years ago
  Correct, new questions tomorrow :)
dingdong 11 years ago
  Which also kan be said as a googol zeroes as a googol=10^100
SimonM 11 years ago
  10^100 zeroes as googolplex = 10^10^100
Ferrari12 11 years ago
  Then I'll have to come up with one, and integrals and prime numbers aren't my strongest side (I haven't learnt too much about them yet). I could always come up with a question, but I'd have limited knowledge of wether it would be solvable or if my own calculations would be correct. If I have some spare time I could try, but right now I'm a bit busy (Trying to find out how solar panels work). :)
SimonM 11 years ago
  Could you you maybe ask some questions about integrals or something like that. :)
Or prime number related.
Ferrari12 11 years ago
  A stupid ratio, it might be, but that's how the task is written. Now that I look at it again, it would make more sense like you interpreted it, Simon, but I didn't think the stupid ratio would present a problem. I didn't have any problem with it myself when solving the task, so I just assumed everybody would think the same way as I did. (No, I didn't write task myself, it's copied from the internet). With that said, Nelson did post the correct answer first, so I can't do anything but award him with his two points.

[edit] 1jase: :P
1jase 11 years ago
  This topic makes me realize how terrible I am with math XD
SimonM 11 years ago
  That's a rather stupid ratio. :) We'll see what Ferrari says. :p
Edit: damn English...
nelson90 11 years ago
  Simon, 2/5 is the ratio of boys to girls, not the ratio of boys to the total of children.

The current total of boys is 108, you don't have to add 12 (they are not really added, it's only a supposition) :)
SimonM 11 years ago
  Did I misinterpreted the question? 2/5 is boys, am I right?
(2/5)*150=60
(4/9)*(150+12)=72
Edit: Nelson, don't forget to add the 12 boys. :)
nelson90 11 years ago
  if b is the number of boys, g the number of girls:
b/g=2/5
(b+12)/g=4/9 ==> b/g+12/g=4/9
2/5+12/g=4/9
12/g=4/9-2/5=(20-18)/45=2/45
g=12*45/2=270
Then, the number of boys is 2*270/5=108
SimonM 11 years ago
  Ok solve the equation
(2/5)t=(4/9)*(t+12)-12
where t = the total amount of children at the beginning.
After solving you get t=150
The amount of boys currently is (4/9)*(150+12) = 72
Ferrari12 11 years ago
  New question up!
gameinsky 11 years ago
  Angles be 30,60 and 90 degrees respectively.
With use of trigonometry you can calculate one of the other sides. Since the triangle has a straight angle, you can use the simplest form of it. The two other sides are 2 cm and 2sqrt(3) cm. With the formula of the area of a triangle I find 2sqrt(3) as answer.

*edit* wait, that's the one nelson solved... damn...
SimonM 11 years ago
  Nelson got it right again. I always see the questions when Nelson already answered them. :p
nelson90 11 years ago
  The third angle is (180-30-60)=90 degrees, the triangle is rectangle. Then, since the longest side is 4 cm, the others are
4*sin(30)=4*sqrt(3)/2=2*sqrt(3) and 4*cos(30)=4*1/2=2
The area is 1/2*2*sqrt(3)*2 = 2*sqrt(3)

@ Simon: to solve the equation of degree 4, you need to find a product of 2 polynomals of degree 2. To calculate the coefficients, you'll need to solve an equation of degree 3. There is a standard way to solve it, without knowing one zero point. But you are right, it's very difficult :)
Ferrari12 11 years ago
  Jim got the right answer (I'm trusting that Norsk Tipping, which are in charge of the Norwegain lottery, have got the stats on their website correct), so that gives him seven points. I'll also give Simon his one point for the fruit basket. Sorry about the mistake there! :)
SimonM 11 years ago
  I'm doing a wild guess: (34!)/(27!)*4 NOK = 34*33*32*31*30*29*28*4 NOK
Edit: Actually it's not a wild guess.
gameinsky 11 years ago
  7^34 NOK I would say.
SimonM 11 years ago
  @Nelson about the polynomal of degree 4. That way with the solving of a polynomal of degree 3, you'll need atleast 1 zero point. And the standard way for a polynomal of degree 3 is pretty difficult. :)
Btw ferrari, you didn't read my message well either:
"13 fruits left and you have 5 fruits."
Jim674 11 years ago
  Could the answer, by any chance, be 21518464 NOK?

General

First post of the topic

Ferrari12 11 years ago
  I thought I'd be fun to revive this little quiz-topic, orginally done by AK, who unfortunately is no longer active. The rules are more or less the same as in the old version, but if you are not familiar with them, here is how the game works:
- I post maths questions, and then it's up to you guys to find the answer(s), preferably with some kind of explanation.
- The first to post the correct answer, gets the points.
- The number of points any question gives, is stated along with the question itself. Few points → Easy question, and oposite.
- New questions will be added whenever the previous one(s) have been answered correctly.

CURRENT QUESTION(S):

What is the average score of Math Whiz Quiz Game V2? (1p)

LEADERBOARD:
Nelson90: 72p
SimonM: 46p
Jim674: 7p
Gameinsky: 3p
PineappleDude: 3p
Demonicyoshi: 1p
Psychomaster: 1p
Treazer: 1p

Signs explanation
SPOILER
Our free flash games   Games for your site   Games for your iPhone   Contact   Twitter @jpsarda & @bonuslevelorg