Play the games, create the levels

Topic, BL API tutorial

Checkout our iPhone & iPad games!

You must register or log in to post a message.

geckojsc 15 years ago
  Woohoo! This is going to help me a lot! Thanks Captain!

So, I think you should include a section about making a simple tile based editor like JP said, because that's one thing I will really need help with later. Maybe split the section up, because I don't need to have two tiles on top of each other, and you could then explain how to add multiple tiles in the same square afterwards.

What you have said pretty much covers everything I will need help with. Thanks so much!
jp 15 years ago
  This is good news, I think you were the best person to do this.

The goal of ths tutorial would be to show that it is quite simple and very rewarding to make a BL game. That's why the Basic API is perfect, simple and enough to have fun very quickly with the game+editor.

I think that if you had planned to provide a simple tile editor in your example, that would be awesome to make it easily extendable for the needs of everybody. Maybe provide something like a configuration file (.as), with a list of different kind of tiles, associated with a color, a character, a bitmap, to show the tile on the grid. Each tile would also need a list of tiles it can overlay (for example a background tile will not be authorized to overlay any tile).
It's just an idea but it's maybe an entire project on itself and a littel bit too much for your tutorial.

TheNinja and gecko are the best person to send feedback on this topic.
Captain_404 15 years ago
  Hey all, I've officially started work on a tutorial outlining the basics of making a game using the BL API.

My question to you, specifically all the game designers, is what you think I should cover in the tutorials. Name anything that you struggled/are struggling with while making your game for the api and I can try and touch on it.

So far, I'm planning on covering:
-implementing basic API functions in your game and editor (includes sending/receiving data)
-changing strings into arrays and arrays into strings
-how you can build a basic game from an array (not a full blown tile tutorial, just the basics)
-maybe a bit on working with Classes

So what else should I cover?

[1]

General

First post of the topic

Captain_404 15 years ago
  Hey all, I've officially started work on a tutorial outlining the basics of making a game using the BL API.

My question to you, specifically all the game designers, is what you think I should cover in the tutorials. Name anything that you struggled/are struggling with while making your game for the api and I can try and touch on it.

So far, I'm planning on covering:
-implementing basic API functions in your game and editor (includes sending/receiving data)
-changing strings into arrays and arrays into strings
-how you can build a basic game from an array (not a full blown tile tutorial, just the basics)
-maybe a bit on working with Classes

So what else should I cover?
Our free flash games   Games for your site   Games for your iPhone   Contact   Twitter @jpsarda & @bonuslevelorg