Play the games, create the levels

Topic, Lunar Magic

Checkout our iPhone & iPad games!

You must register or log in to post a message.

SuperDog 12 years ago
  Bump cuz I need help.

Which level ID is the one in the beginning? The one where a message pops up after one second saying "Welcome! This is Dinosaur Land..."
SuperDog 13 years ago
  Those are called "Events". Surprisingly, 1 event is NOT one piece of the path, but the WHOLE animation after the level is completed.

How to delete all current events: Go to Layer 1 Event Editor Mode. Hold Page Up until it says "Already at end (Event 0x77)". Now select everything and press Delete. Do the same, but with Layer 2 Event Editor Mode. However, if you hold Page Down, you will see that there still is some movement. You can disable that by clicking on a tile, pressing the yellow circle, and clicking choosing "No event" in the second box.

How to make events: In Layer 2 Event Editor Mode, click the path tile(The tenth button). Press down until you get to Event Tile pages 8 and 9. Use these tiles to make paths that can be activated(You can also change the palette with the left/right buttons). Go to Event 0x1, and place the paths that you want to be activated. Now click the level you want to activate the path you just made, click the yellow circle and in the second box, choose "Event 1". For more than 1 events, use Event 0x2, Event 0x3 etc.

Hope it helped.
AK 13 years ago
  I need help with making Mario go to the levels that he unlocks... How do you make it so Mario will actually make a path to a level when he completes one?
SuperDog 13 years ago
  Well, if you can't see them, go to Layer 1 Editing Mode, click on a level and click the yellow circle button at the top(Just like when I told you how to put a lvl in the Overworld Editor).
AK 13 years ago
  I think so.....
SuperDog 13 years ago
  The ones you activate by pressing F1?
AK 13 years ago
  The black numbers next to the levels in the world editor so you can know what level you'll be playing.
SuperDog 13 years ago
  level ID and event numbers? what do you mean?

Also, I found how to change the ACTUAL credits.
AK 13 years ago
  No, I will do that once i'm done....

Crap, I can't see the level ID and Event numbers, they're too small....

A little help?
SuperDog 13 years ago
  LAWL!

Did you put us in teh creditz?

Maybe you want to collaborate it?
AK 13 years ago
  I accidentally deleted the door into the Vanilla Dome... XD

I'm just going to make a new world...
SuperDog 13 years ago
  I agree, I probably want to check if it's allright too.

Also, rocky, I didn't know you had Lunar Magic. Maybe you wanna make a collaboration romhack?

Will you put us in the credits list?

I don't know how to edit the ACTUAL credit list, but you can put something like "Thanks to rocky and SuperDog from bonuslevel.org for helping me make this romhack" or something like that in the message that shows up when the princess is saved. To change it, go to this website and scroll down until you get to "SMW Thank You Message Importer".

You might find some of the other things useful, too.
rocky 13 years ago
  To make a diagnosis, I'll have to play your hack. Do you know how to make IPS patches? If not, read the spoiler.

SPOILER
gameinsky 13 years ago
  Get SMBX, 'nuf said.
(SMB 1,2,3 + SMW + Super metroid)
AK 13 years ago
  Crap. I might need to delete the entire thing now, thanks to the Overworld editor screwing up and making me go in a random area. Can this be fixed? I didn't make this happen:
STUPID PIECE OF CRAP!!!
AK 13 years ago
  This is what I have on the title:
Ahroo 13 years ago
  @GIS lemme guess, SMBX? |:p
AK 13 years ago
  Thank you so much!!!!

Stiil having a bit of trouble with the title, all the letters are really tiny... XD

Oh well, thanks!
rocky 13 years ago
  On the second-to-last panel of buttons, there's a Mario head; click it. Then under Layer 1 (FG) Vertical Scrolling, select Vertical Scroll at Will. Then the camera will pan wherever you go.
AK 13 years ago
  Thanks rocky!!!

I'm having troouble with the camera. When I go a certain height in the level, it won't show me. How do I make it follow me no matter what height?
rocky 13 years ago
  To edit the intro: First, go into the overworld editor. Then select File -> Title Screen -> Load Title Screen. Then, click the sea rock. You get letters in different colors/ palettes. Delete the original Super Mario World letters, and make your own title! Remember to save when you're finished.
gameinsky 13 years ago
  If you want to make levels with the SMB, just ask me, I know the perfect game...
AK 13 years ago
  Thanks you two! I made my first level that's actually good! Haven't put it in the world yet though...

Also, how do you edit the "SUPER MARIO WORLD" title screen?
rocky 13 years ago
  Hey there, fellow ROM hacker! :)

Since SD couldn't help with secondary entrances and pipes, I'll explain that.

Let's say you put a pipe, which goes to another level, and you wanna come back. That's called a secondary entrance.

Click the door with the number 2 on it. Then select the level you came back from from the first scroll bar, and choose the level you'll enter, and the screen number. For instance, from level 105, I go to level 1CB. Then, from the scroll bar, I select 1CB to 105, 105 in the destination level number, and the screen number I want him to spawn.

Now, the X/Y position is the position in which Mario will spawn. Choose the position by messing around with the X/Y position buttons, or make your own custom ones. Now, HOW will he enter? Through an up and down pipe? A horizontal pipe? If you choose a pipe, make a non-exit enabled pipe, and put on the Mario on the edge. For example, if you put him as Horizontal Pipe Exit Right, make sure Mario's body is on the edge of the horizontal pipe, or he'll die.
SuperDog 13 years ago
  No problem, AK. I know lots about Lunar Magic. You can count on me ;)

So... a level in the Overworld Editor, right? You mean a level tile that Mario can enter?

Go to the Overworld Editor. Then, click the house without the star. Next, click on the blue switch. On the seventh and eight rows, you will see the level tiles. The normal ones are the ones you can see and the translucent ones are hidden levels you can only see when you finish the level before. Just place it on the map.

To make it go to a cerntain level, highlight it(when it's on the map) and click the yellow circle button at the top. Then just put in the level number.
AK 13 years ago
  Yay! Thanks SuperDog!

Now I wanna know how to put a new level in the Overworld editor.
SuperDog 13 years ago
  I've been waiting for somebody to make a topic like this. I totally LOOOOVE Lunar Magic. I'm making a hack so hard that you have to TAS it(TAS means tool-assisted, so you use save states and slowdown, but you don't show it in the video). I am a begginer TASser, but I'll try to make a video of it.

Anyway, back to the point:

I know quite a lot about Lunar Magic, so I can help you with most things. This is how to make doors which go to other places:

First, go to View -> Screen Exits. Then place a door(it's an object in the "Extended Objects" tab). Now, see the five buttons, all with doors on them? Click on the first button. Then choose whichever screen number the door is. Below, type in the level number you want to enter(I don't know how to do secondary enterances). For example. if I want my door to go to Yoshi's Island 3, I enter the level ID(which is 103).

It's different for pipes though... You have to put an exit-enabled pipe in the destination you want to go. I'm not exactly sure what to do with pipes.

Midway points:

Midway points are easy to make. The 2 stripy poles are Standard Objects(15 _Y), while the bar is an Extended Object(46)
AK 13 years ago
  Um.... I kind of already knew that stuff....

I've worked with this stuff a little bit before. Just get to the doors, pipes, different "rooms" (like in level 101).....
rocky 13 years ago
  Before we do pipes and stuff, you need to know the basics.

First off, open your ROM in Lunar Magic. Surprise! You see original SMW. At the top, you see panels of buttons. Click the blue baby yoshi, and you see sprites.

Now, sprites are separated into categories. Standard sprites can be used anywhere, regardless of tileset. Tileset specific sprites can only be used in certain levels, because each level can only use the sprites in the level's tileset (what sprites you use). You can tell if it's part of the tileset if it doesn't have glitched graphics. You can change tilesets, but we'll worry about that later. We'll also learn about generators later.

Now, to place the sprite into the level, highlight it, and right click onto the level. But hey, it doesn't work? Why? Well, look at the second panel of buttons (the one with the grass platform, yellow platform, and green koopa shell). They say Layer 1 editing mode, Layer 2 editing mode, and sprite editing mode. Currently, Layer 1 is selected, so click sprite editing mode and you'll be able to place sprites.

Now how to put objects? Click layer 1 editing mode, and press the turn block (that's the one to the left of the blue yoshi). You get objects into 3 categories: Standard, tileset specific, extended, and Map 16. Just select and right click into the level to make them, but objects may need explaining.

STANDARD: Objects you can you use anytime. To adjust their size, put them in the level, go the bottom right corner of the object, and drag to adjust size.

TILESET SPECIFIC: Self-explanatory. Different objects work in different levels with different tilesets.

EXTENDED OBJECTS: More objects of both these categories.

MAP 16: If you're too lazy to look for the object you want in a category, Map 16 has it all. Also, you can create your own minor blocks with it. However, don't rely on it too much, because some objects don't work in Map 16. EX: The purple climbing triangle; it won't work at all.
AK 13 years ago
  Can you help at all???

[1] [2]

General

First post of the topic

AK 13 years ago
  Someone mentioned this to me, can't remeber who...

Anyways, I have been looking for a way to edit SMW levels for 2 years, and now i've found one!!!

Problem: Don't know how to work it. XD

Can anyone give me tips?
Our free flash games   Games for your site   Games for your iPhone   Contact   Twitter @jpsarda & @bonuslevelorg