Play the games, create the levels

Topic, My Music Game

Checkout our iPhone & iPad games!

You must register or log in to post a message.

geckojsc 15 years ago
  Neat! Thanks so much, I'll add all the people who help me onto the intro screen!
doomlord 15 years ago
  Two drums, these were very hard.

drum

outlined drum
geckojsc 15 years ago
  These are good ideas! I'm not very skilled at actionscript, so I probably won't make many more features.
I've already got all the sounds I need, using MIDI files and making them sound 8-bit style with GSXCC.

I will add an option to change the speed of the music in the editor.
There is only one bar, and it always stays in the same place.
doomlord 15 years ago
  That one will be a bit harder, I'll be able to do it though. I've got an idea, in the editor, how about being able to draw the bar, though only horizontal. You could have seperate bars to make some sounds that might be like a beat or something in the background. you could also make ground that might have slopes that you go slower up and faster down, or are just there for being closer to the top. I am going to make a cool sprite for the bar, that would light up in specific colors when sounds hit it. That would be cool, I have to make the drum first, which reminds me, I once made a sound that sounds almost like a drum from scratch.
geckojsc 15 years ago
  Engine

Editor

I love the 4 pixel one!
Now I just need a drum one!
jp 15 years ago
  The 4 pixels is neat and better IMO.
doomlord 15 years ago
  Well, i have two sample notes I made, one is pixelated by 2, and the other is by 4, but the slight blending is still 2

2 pixel

EDIT: Hm, 4 pixel one isn't showing up, just go to the link to see it.
[edit JP] that was just because you were using IMG instead of img.

4 pixel
Captain_404 15 years ago
  "I'm not the best, but look at the sneakers screenshot."

There is no reference to this being an example of solid colors, and the way that the sentence is worded makes it sound like you are claiming it as your work. Furthermore, there is no reference to anything relating to colors in your post.

I'm sorry if I have simply misunderstood you, but I hope you can at least see why I might have :)
doomlord 15 years ago
  I never said I made those graphics, I am saying they are solid colors. I mean, that the graphics aren't that good, so anything somewhat good is fine. please, captain, the word but entitled a comparison, saying that it would be better compared to something like that, and that it wouldn't have to be too good though.
Captain_404 15 years ago
  (img=LINK_GOES_HERE) random title (/img)

replace the parenthesis with brackets, replace all the dummy text, and it should work.
geckojsc 15 years ago
  I'm really sorry, I won't actually be needing much animation in my game. I just asked about animation because I wanted to know what skills Allycat has.

I'm going to post some rough ideas of what the game will look like in a bit.
allycat369 15 years ago
  I can do the animation. what do you want them to be?
birjolaxew 15 years ago
  I think i can make animations. Test me if you want.
locostro 15 years ago
  lol
jejeje
Captain_404 15 years ago
  Look at the sneakers screenshot!? You sir, did not make those graphics, do not claim that you did. Graphics are one component of my games I will never ship out to someone else to do and the graphics in sneakers aren't even the final graphics yet. I'm not sure why you'd even want to take credit for half-finished work that isn't yours.
geckojsc 15 years ago
  Ok Doomlord! If you could make a two blocks, a white one with a black musical note, and a black one with a white drum.

Try to make it look pixelly, as if it came from an old video game.

I'll be able to make the dot and other stuff myself.

Thanks a bunch!
doomlord 15 years ago
  I'm not half bad with graphics. If you told me what to make I will try. I should be able to make a dot and bricks, I will try to make as much as possible if you have details about size and how it should look. I'm not the best, but look at the sneakers screenshot.
geckojsc 15 years ago
  It's all in Flash 8 AS2, but all my sounds are very small .wav files, which can be compressed by Flash easily.

Also, should I use an array, or is there a different way to handle the level data?

I'm only 13, so I will need some help...
allycat369 15 years ago
  I can try to do animation. depending on what you want it to be.
jp 15 years ago
  Is it AS2 or AS3 ?

AS2 is very limited for sounds. If you want 12 tones for a sound, you have to embed 12 sounds, it takes a lot of KB.
AS3 + Flash 9 could allow you (with a well known hack to produce a sound from a ByteArray) to embed one sample and to modify the tone.
AS3 + Flash 10 will allow the same thing, you don't need the hack as it is natively supported by FP10.

So if you have the opportuny to use AS3, it's the good choice. AS3 will also allow you to control more accurately the synchro and the rythm.

If not, you will be limited in the number of sounds you can embed, but it's still possible.

Having discussed this with Rowland Rose, he told me that he embedded all sounds/tones in Music Bounce.

My advice is to start with the sound engine because it's the key of your project, and you will not find many tutorials. If you can make it work, the rest is not easy but it's doable for sure.

I can help too with the API.
Captain_404 15 years ago
  Good luck to you!

Remember if you run into trouble using the API you can always shoot me a few questions if you want.
THeNiNJa 15 years ago
  Sounds like something that will use many resources, sounds good.
geckojsc 15 years ago
  Tell me what you can do! Graphics? Animation? Programming?

What types of software do you have?
allycat369 15 years ago
  can i help in any way?
geckojsc 15 years ago
  For BL, I want to make a music game, a little bit like Music Bounce, if you've ever played that.

I have a faint idea of what I want it to be about.
You have a dot, with which you must dodge and collect a load of blocks.

When the blocks hit the bar at the bottom of the screen, they play a sound. In the editor you can mix the different sounds together to make a song.

This is my checklist:

1. Collect sounds. +
2. Create a movieclip for every sound. X
3. Create engine. X
4. Create editor. X

There are probably other things I will have to do, but I'm gonna need a lot of help!

[<<] [1] [2]

Flash game development

First post of the topic

geckojsc 15 years ago
  For BL, I want to make a music game, a little bit like Music Bounce, if you've ever played that.

I have a faint idea of what I want it to be about.
You have a dot, with which you must dodge and collect a load of blocks.

When the blocks hit the bar at the bottom of the screen, they play a sound. In the editor you can mix the different sounds together to make a song.

This is my checklist:

1. Collect sounds. +
2. Create a movieclip for every sound. X
3. Create engine. X
4. Create editor. X

There are probably other things I will have to do, but I'm gonna need a lot of help!
Our free flash games   Games for your site   Games for your iPhone   Contact   Twitter @jpsarda & @bonuslevelorg