Play the games, create the levels

Topic, Level "Mysterious Orb", game "BLockoban"

Checkout our iPhone & iPad games!

You must register or log in to post a message.

ToughMan 9 years ago
  Point taken CD. Subject has been exhaustively debated and anyone can make up his/her mind.

P.S. I hope the target group for the mobile app is not our kids...hehe [I try to limit their involvement with the mobiles to the absolute minimum]

P.S. 2. Although not meant as a compliment (a fact rather) in the sense that i was not trying to beautify your design [it is objectively a great lvl], you're welcome.
CamoDragoon 9 years ago
  @TM
First of all, thanks for the compliment. :)

Secondly, this is what pains me about making the level easy. One of the toughest designing challenges is making kids levels that still have some element of trickiness or otherwise some trick to them, while still keeping them kids. Almost any linked blocks level is declared too complex, so you can't use that idea, and most icy block levels have to generally be very simple (although there are a few exceptions, like SM's "Bump me out"). This makes it really difficult to make tricky levels for kids. In a way, in calling this level "kids", I meant that I wanted "kids" to try it until they could figure it out. But for the sake of consistency and as you note, due to the majority opinion appearing to be that this ought to be easy, I'll leave it as the harder difficulty.

Also consider that on the mobile app both of these categories are melded together. Whether more people are introduced through the mobile app or the site to BB is up for debate though.

EDIT: At any rate, I'm happy to see the opinions of some members who don't often show their faces here in BB ;)
ToughMan 9 years ago
  For a regular player the difficulty level doesn't make much difference (ie he/she will try the medium ones as if they were easy). However, a kid will only try, and special thanks once again to OMR for preparing the packs, the Kids pack and will miss the opportunity to get aquainted to this wonderful level.... at least for some time until hw/she gets older. That is my only objection when advancing a level from Kids to Easy due to blurring lines. In all other cases (ie between easy, medium, hard, etc) you would be right CD. Having said that, I don't think I express the majority of our members but it is just my humble opinion.
CamoDragoon 9 years ago
  This is the never-ending BlockoBan difficulty debate... whether to rate it more based on how unforgiving the level is or how tricky its solution is. I want to have consistency when setting difficulties, so I think at the request of several of you I am going to change it to easy. I'd rather place levels in the slightly harder category when the lines are as blurred as this.
gameinsky 9 years ago
  Managed to find the solution, but I would say to change the category to easy.
The solution is actually very simple, that's true.
But it's also too easy to mess up.

"The trick" doesn't have many ways to screw up, but this level does.
SimonM 9 years ago
  Anyway, it's a good level! And the intention to stump people succeeded, atleast to me. :)
CamoDragoon 9 years ago
  I appreciate both points of view. Personally, I noticed everything the three of you have said while creating the level. I decided to make it kids because of the fact that indeed it is a very simple solution, yet the level has a nasty trick. I try to create kids levels that are unique and not just plain, easy levels. I wanted to make a kids level that seemed tricky (and is easy to mess up) but actually has a very simple solution.

One of my all-time favorite kids levels that I've created is The Trick (BLockoban). Even though the solution may seem very simple and straightforward to a veteran, you wouldn't believe how many people I've stumped with it. My intention was to do something similar in this level, where there is only one solution that won't work if you make any wrong moves, but is actually pretty simple. Obviously in this level (Mysterious Orb) there are more ways to mess yourself up, but that's only because I placed extra walls for decoration rather than stop pads / open air where you can't move.

Again, I appreciate the feedback :)
SimonM 9 years ago
  I don't know, I took me a day to solve it, and I'm surely not a kid.
It's an easy solution, but it's only 1 solution and you can easily get stuck.
ToughMan 9 years ago
  Although at first glance it seems a bit difficult, I tend to agree with OMR. It is extremely easier than it looks and could be considered kids.
oldmanrob 9 years ago
  I think it is. It's very easy to solve. You don't need an elaborate strategy.
SimonM 9 years ago
  This is not a kids level!

[1]

Levels forum

Play Level "Mysterious Orb"

About Level "Mysterious Orb"

First post of the topic

SimonM 9 years ago
  This is not a kids level!
Our free flash games   Games for your site   Games for your iPhone   Contact   Twitter @jpsarda & @bonuslevelorg