Play the games, create the levels

Topic, Level "Earn to Die", game "Jump Gear 2"

Checkout our iPhone & iPad games!

You must register or log in to post a message.

Ferrari12 8 years ago
  Well, these weren't really the updates the level needed. What you need to do if you really want this level to become accepted (Though you might be better of starting from scratch in a new level) is first of all to make the level neater. By this I mean that you shouldn't use differently sized lines together in the way you have here. The lines do not really match, and the overall result is a messy look. Also, when you want to fill and area with background color, you need to use the technique Gameinsky described in his first post.

The level would also benefit from being a bit longer and having a challenge that comes across as thought through. As of now it seems that you have placed the lines more or less randomly, and this does not really give a great gameplay. The unnecessary checkpoint and info bubble at the end also have to be deleted, unless you extend the level in such a way that they make any sense.

Adding some more background design wouldn't hurt either.
MrFrost 8 years ago
  Update 0.2 - What's new? Now you have only 40 seconds...and a annoying obstacle...
gameinsky 8 years ago
  I tend to be more mild when evaluating levels made by new designers, but I thought that this level in specific simply didn't have much potential to be that good, which is why I decided to reject it in the end.
I would be more than happy to help new designers make better levels, but that means we'll need more communication from their side. And as of now MrFrost hasn't said much at all.
Ferrari12 8 years ago
  Like Gameinsky, I would also be quite hesitant to accept levels like this one. The gameplay doesn't seem very thought through, the use of differently sized lines isn't very neat and the background design is indeed very simplistic, like the level in general.

However, PineappleDude does have a very valid point. More accepted levels would obviously give the community a greater number of levels to play, which hopefully could yield greater activity on the game.

Another thing that bothers me slightly is that the rating scale is from 1 to 5, yet I wouldn't accept a level that I would consider rating below 3. Does this mean that the requirements for accepted levels are too strict, or is this simply not an issue worth addressing? One could for instance argue that not accepting levels prone to receiving 1/5 or 2/5 ratings is a good thing, because poor early level won't ruin a designer's average rating score in the designers list.

Had I been tasked to rate this level, I would have given it 2/5, but I feel that with a little effort to make the level neater, it could become a 3/5-level (Which would mean I would think more seriously about accepting it). Of course, the final checkpoint, which is without any kind of purpose, would also have to go.

As for the level in its current state, what it really comes down to is whether or not we wish to accept 2/5-levels. To be fair, the level is totally ok to play (despite the lack of great challenge), it has some background design (though there is some clear room for improvement) and it has an acceptable thumbnail and an acceptable title. There is in general very little that is fundamentally wrong.

In summary, I can understand it if the community wishes us admins to accept levels like this one, but I would not feel comfortable doing it without clearly expressed support from the community.
PineappleDude 8 years ago
  It may be short - but if we lower the requirements in order to get an appected level isn't there a bigger chance that a member stays and contributes to the BL community for a longer time? I mean there is nothing wrong with a level like this imo, and it makes for a nice HSF :P
gameinsky 8 years ago
  I can't be the only one that thinks that this level is way too simplistic?
The level is very easy and the design could be better.

If you want to make rectangles the easiest way is to use size 36 to fill and then fill the gaps with size 4 lines again.
I suggest you look at some recently made levels to see what makes a good level.

[1]

Levels forum

Play Level "Earn to Die"

About Level "Earn to Die"

First post of the topic

gameinsky 8 years ago
  I can't be the only one that thinks that this level is way too simplistic?
The level is very easy and the design could be better.

If you want to make rectangles the easiest way is to use size 36 to fill and then fill the gaps with size 4 lines again.
I suggest you look at some recently made levels to see what makes a good level.
Our free flash games   Games for your site   Games for your iPhone   Contact   Twitter @jpsarda & @bonuslevelorg