Play the games, create the levels

Topic, Game "Xanward Urthadar"

Checkout our iPhone & iPad games!

You must register or log in to post a message.

1jase 15 years ago
  maybe I could be a tester i too like to play games were you have to draw and stuff

its up to you
racersda 15 years ago
  It won't let me play the levels.
geckojsc 15 years ago
  I can make music for you!
I do electro music and chiptunes best, but I can do other styles as well!
THeNiNJa 15 years ago
  The graphics, a smoother engine, editor, sounds, music, a lot is missing :P
lineplus 15 years ago
  What is missing before the final version of the game?
THeNiNJa 15 years ago
  It's a drawing game combined with a platform game, but it's really not ready for testing yet, but sure you can be as soon as it gets.
geckojsc 15 years ago
  Please may I be a tester for this game?
I love drawing games!
THeNiNJa 15 years ago
  That's going to take a while. The game is not at all done. Only the basics work.

I don't think it will be finished 2008... I want it to look as good as the other games before making it public.
allycat369 15 years ago
  when will it be open to everyone?
jp 15 years ago
  It's not a bug. Developing a game for BL (and in general) requires a lot of tests. Some members are allowed to test the game but the game itself is not completed and not public.
allycat369 15 years ago
  every time i try to play any game other than the rolling turtle,hop pop, or that one combolie (or something like that, the one with all the circles) this is what it says:"Sorry, this game is in test phase and it is not yet public. Try again in a few days or weeks" i've benn trying back for two months. does anyone else have this problem??does anyone know when it will be public? or is it just a bug or something?
jp 15 years ago
  This is going to be more and more complex. IMO you have to make 2 kinds of collision detection in your engine

1) Moving items (hero + moving blocks) vS static items
2) Moving vS Moving

You can still use the hittest method for 1) but in this case you have to display yuor moving items in a nother movieclip than _root.terrain. Your method is working but it's not optimal, it would have been better to use the tonypa method here : http://www.tonypa.pri.ee/tbw/tut05.html

For 2), you need to make a square vs square collision between all moving items. I guess it's the best method. You have to know which items collide to be able to move the blocks so you can't use a hittest on _root.terrain which doesn't give this info. Square quare collision is easy, here is an example of algorithm (not in flash) : http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-dev/browse_thread/thread/20316b25f7a4147a?pli=1
THeNiNJa 15 years ago
  I've made a tile, which is going to be the "Pushable Block". That one has the green corners. But the code for every collision check is very long... So i wonder if there's anyway to shorten it down:

if ((!_root.terrain.hitTest(this._x, this._y + this._height/2, true)) && (!_root.terrain.hitTest(this._x - this._width/2, this._y + this._height/2, true)) && (!_root.terrain.hitTest(this._x + this._width/2, this._y + this._height/2, true)) && (!_root.line.hitTest(this._x, this._y + this._height/2, true)) && (!_root.line.hitTest(this._x - this._width/2, this._y + this._height/2, true)) && (!_root.line.hitTest(this._x + this._width/2, this._y + this._height/2, true)) or (yspeed<0))
{
//something
}

And i actually need to check collision with a lot more movieclips.
jp 15 years ago
  Thanks for the reply. The green point collision will solve the problem. Don't worry for the little details that you don't know how to fix yet. That's a good idea to concentrate on the editor and core engine and gameplay. I can help you when the game is more advanced to fix these details and polish the game.

About the categories, once you'e created them in the game submission form page, it's very touchy to modify them. Each category is a number starting from 0. You can edit their name, you can add a new one AFTER the already existing categoies, but as soon as you want to remove one category or change the order, it will be a big mess in the levels. I need to make a category edition form.
THeNiNJa 15 years ago
  I wont be adding testers until the game works alot better.
Sword-Guy 15 years ago
  may I be a tester?
THeNiNJa 15 years ago
  I figured out what the problem in Tuto Bombs was. But i can't explain how this "bug" occured. The category was set to dgfgfgsgsg, or something like that, which i have never written. I think it's because i removed all categories a while ago.

You can complete it now!

I had to re-upload every level, but it works now.
THeNiNJa 15 years ago
  Thanks JP.
I'm currently detecting collision with only one point of the character for each site:

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq322/THe_NiNJa_photos/draw_collision_dettection.jpg

I am currently only detecting collision with the yellow points, and i should add the green points. And maybe even 8 points between the green and yellow.
birjolaxew 15 years ago
  I have done the problem whit "undefined".
THeNiNJa 15 years ago
  Hey JP.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still working on the very basics of the game, so maybe it's a little too early.

About the thumbnails with the black lines:
Yes, i need to add the "if (BLManager.cursorOverBLGUI() == false)", because you also lose ink when you click the BLAPI buttons. I am also going to implement a pause function.

Undefined appears because the levels were made (Still with the editor example you've made :/ ) before i implemented ink. These leveldata needs an additional variable.

About the black counter, i'm not sure how i'm going to do this. I could put it in a layer above the drawings, but black is a bad colour to put in front of the mines/drawings.

You can't complete Tuto - Bombs? Strange :/

And no, it's not intended that can move when only the head touches the ceil. This is just because i kinda suck at flash..

Also, i will probably make this game an infinity scroller, like RT, Hog Pop and Jump Gear 2, but i want to make a succesful editor first.
jp 15 years ago
  I know the game is not ready, let me know if it is too early for feedback.
I have a few remarks.
First, the gameplay is very interesting, so this is worth going on.
About the thumbnails that are all featuring a black line. You can avoid this by adding a condition before activating the line drawing in the game engine :
onMouseDown = function () {
if (BLManager.cursorOverBLGUI() == false) {
//start the drawings
}
}

On some levels the the black counter is "undefined" and you can't draw (The star, Tuto several goals).

The black counter should be put in a layer above the drawings.

On Tuto Bombs, when I arrive on the goal, the level is not completed and the hero disappear.

Is it intended that you can move when only the head touch the ceil ?

[edit]
The collision detection is not yet perfect on corners. Not sure if it's a big problem, but you can enter the blocks a little depending no which direction you arrive from.

In some situations, yuo have to use the left hand for the keyboard while drawings lines with tle mouse (right hand). So I suggest that the up arrow key is used to jump instead of or in addition to the spacebar.
BenTen 15 years ago
  why is there only one lvl and why is it called draw, the same name as the game?

cool same, name and game rime.

[edit, THeNiNJa]: There are more levels, but the level "Draw" is the only commented one.
I am still working on the game, and there's alot to do..
evilglass 15 years ago
  can i be a tester?
BenTen 15 years ago
  can i be a tester THeNINJa?
lineplus 15 years ago
  Cool, I prepare the description of the game ! ;)
THeNiNJa 15 years ago
  Sure! I would be pleased. And I'm ready to make you a tester soon!
lineplus 15 years ago
  I try to do it quickly :p
Would you like me to send you a description of the game by Private Message ?
THeNiNJa 15 years ago
  Cool lineplus! :D
I can't wait!
lineplus 15 years ago
  Cool :)
For my game, I am always experimenting, and when it will look something, I tell you ;)
I say only that he is called "Walking Balls" and that it will not control the characters :p
THeNiNJa 15 years ago
  Please don't ask about testing now yet.
I will tell you when this game is ready to be tested.

Games forum

Play Game "Xanward Urthadar"

First post of the topic

lineplus 15 years ago
  I can become a tester please ? :)
Our free flash games   Games for your site   Games for your iPhone   Contact   Twitter @jpsarda & @bonuslevelorg