Play the games, create the levels

Topic, Game "Push"

Checkout our iPhone & iPad games!

You must register or log in to post a message.

Captain_404 15 years ago
  It is a 1 in 1000 chance, understandably, a bit hard to test for :P

Good catch though, thanks!

One more thing, the background did change to a starry sky, correct?
THeNiNJa 15 years ago
  There's nothing like easter eggs..
WooHooII 15 years ago
  Umm... I got a message that said "OMG! It's night! There's only a 1 in (?)00 chance of it being night time each time you play a level! Make a wish!"
I couldn't see what number it mentioned because there were red blocks in the way.
Captain_404 15 years ago
  For one thing, the testers haven't made that many levels so far.

Secondly, I prefer to make ALL of my game by myself. It has more personal charm that way I think.

Thirdly, In my next 25 level expansion (coming out soon I hope) I'll be featuring some of my favorite, more difficult user levels.
Friend 15 years ago
  how come all the official levels exceptone are by you?
Captain_404 15 years ago
  Lower is better, it takes the scores from all the levels you've played and adds them up.

Furthermore, you're score is the amount of time on the clock at the end of the level (in seconds).
legoguy92 15 years ago
  So for the score.... the higher or lower the better?
Captain_404 15 years ago
  Sorry, that was a little something for debugging, it's been removed now though.
Friend 15 years ago
  how do you get rid of the big white square talking about data? edit: you can see blocks in fromt of it but not yourself, it might be the coding of the game, or something else, but why did it appear from nowhere in the main page? edit: it says:

blNewUserData true 11_38,40,37,39
11_38,40,37,39
11_38,40,37,39^Here is the data. (with the period)

edit: you can get rid of it for a short time by clicking elsewhere.
Asforien 15 years ago
  Let me be a tester too :D
THeNiNJa 15 years ago
  Trippy music O.o :D
Captain_404 15 years ago
  I think this game has come far enough to start accepting more testers. Anyone interested should let me know :)
cap404beta 15 years ago
  Woot! Beat all lvls! (WarParty)
Sword-Guy 15 years ago
  should the push guy, stay relative to the blocks? like if he is on one block now and you push the block to the lefthe drops, but if he stayed relaive to the block he would stay on it.
Sword-Guy 15 years ago
  i think he means in the level "into the fire" when he restarted with his push field thing changing a blocks position ,as in the editor, and when his push field thing moved, the block stayed in "pushed position" so "into the fire" had kept either the fire thing away , or the block closer, and in "snowy bricks", i think he means he clogged up his way to the goal when it didnt go back into "un-pushed" position.

i think :).

when the new level was added it is making me do all the levels again, which isnt a problem for me exept the "tall tower", but i thought i should report it

[edit jp, I've merged your 2 messages in one. When you've forgotten to say something in a message, don't post a new one, edit your message instead.]
jp 15 years ago
  Friend, it's always very difficulty to understand what you mean in your comments. Try to describe more precisely. If you see a bug, try to find a systematic way to reproduce it, and then describe the procedure in a comment, with AS MANY details as possible. Thanks :)
Captain_404 15 years ago
  I'm not sure I understand what you mean...
Friend 15 years ago
  has anyone else informed you of the fact that sometimes blocks don't go back home? this is how i got past into the fire and is preventing me from passing snowy bricks.
Captain_404 15 years ago
  Yeah, I had factored that into my decision actually.

But I do see where you're coming from, I'm reconsidering now.
jp 15 years ago
  OK for the sticky head :)
I understand that when pressing the space bar, you don't reset the time, as the state of the tiles is not reseted, and this can be part of the gameplay in some cases. But when pressing on RESTART, the level should be completely reseted as if you play a new level. Otherwise, players will just play another level and play again the same level. This will reset the time and will just make things a little bit longer than pressing on RESTART.
Captain_404 15 years ago
  Yes, the hero is intended to have a sticky head :P

I don't want the time to reset when one resets so however many times the player dies is factored into the scoring as well as the time it takes the player to run through the level.

Thanks for pointing out the restart-after-finish glitch though, I'm certain I know what's causing that.
jp 15 years ago
  "Golf" setting is perfect in this case.
I found a strange behaviour in game engine : when I press the "RESTART" button after completing a level it doesn't start again. Also when pressing the "RESTART" button while playing a level, I expect the time to be reseted, but it only make the same effect as if I press the spacebar (hero is resetted, but not the imte). This is the way I imagine hardcore player will try to accomplish the best score.

Also while playing the level "Teleport", I realize that the hero can stick on the roof. I find it quite strange, is it intended to work like this ?
Captain_404 15 years ago
  The scores are basically just the amount of time on the timer when you finish a level. I've got a few problem with it submitting the correct value currently.

Since it's time-based, should I be using the 'golf' setting, or is there something more accurate I can use?
jp 15 years ago
  Great, the editor problem is solved.
@Captain, sure send me the code by email, I'll have a look.
Btw, how do you compute the score for a level ?
Captain_404 15 years ago
  Nevermind, the problem is fixed now.

Although I had to knock off a crucial gameplay element in order to implement this and I'm going to be experimenting with ways to get this element back until I get it working, so you should still be careful while editing.

EDIT: I think I've completely fixed the problem now. Happy creating, everyone!
Captain_404 15 years ago
  Ok, upon further testing I've found that my editor for the most part works, but if you change the title (and I assume the thumbnail) without editing the actual level, it erases the level.

1. select a level
2. click 'edit'
3. click 'test'

The level appears and plays normally

1. select a level
2. click 'edit'
3. change the title
4. click 'test'

The level disappears.

I'm not sure, but I think this means the problem is with the API.
Friend 15 years ago
  I just got the guy to jump through the ceiling in the editor, but it won't happen again...
Captain_404 15 years ago
  Hm, I had thought about limiting speed to reduce the glitch's effects, but I was afraid that would affect the pushing abilities adversely. Also, the blocks aren't actually moved using a true speed value, it's all just fancy distance calculation. I'd much rather find what's causing the glitch and fix it than just writing a sort of cover-up. Would you mind looking over the code if I emailed it to you?

From your account it seems the editor glitch comes from editing a level without actually placing any tiles. Definitely a problem on my end :P thanks!
jp 15 years ago
  @Captain
The oscilating glitch is still here. The origin of the problem seems to be that in some situations, a square suddently teleport itself from the top of the cursor to the bottom, and reversely. I guess there is the same pb for left/right. Maybe a way to solve this would be to limit the "speed" of each square ?

About the edit pb, I managed to reproduce it twice on your test level. It seems to be systematic for me.
1) I load the game
2) I open the menu and SELECT TAB
3) I click on your "test" level.
4) I click on EDIT, the level is correctly shown in the editor
5) I click on TEST, and the level is empty in the game engine.

I'm pretty sure it's not the API, it's a pb from the editor IMO.
Captain_404 15 years ago
  @ Sword-Guy - Yes.

@ WooHooII - thanks! I'll keep you in mind!

@ jp - I tried creating a test level in order to duplicate your problem, but could not. Are you sure this happens every time? I was working on a level once and somehow accidentally deleted it in much the same manner you described. However, this did not happen every time...furthermore, would that be a problem on my end or would that be the API?

Also, I tried fixing the oscillation glitch, but I'm not very good at triggering it myself, next time you play the game would you mind testing it for me?

@ Friend - I think most people would use the WASD keys for a game like this, so no. But in future versions I'll make changing key setting easier to do and I'll save your game preferences so you won't have to change it every time.

Games forum

Play Game "Push"

First post of the topic

Friend 15 years ago
  This doesn't seem that... well done.
Our free flash games   Games for your site   Games for your iPhone   Contact   Twitter @jpsarda & @bonuslevelorg