Play the games, create the levels

Topic, The 2010 BL Game Collab!

Checkout our iPhone & iPad games!

You must register or log in to post a message.

Hexicube 14 years ago
  real time battles are a lot easier to script
a LOT easier...
I go with real time it adds to the action of the game
THeNiNJa 14 years ago
  I can help by working on the engine too..

- Editor too.

Earlier today I got an idea, and drew a sketch..:

Game Example

It's a mix of an RPG and the playing with gravity .. The player is automaticcaly attracted to the closest grassy surface. So if he jumps off the cliff, the gravity will change, and he will be turning 90* but still being able to walk and jump.
That means if a grassy surface is a bit above him and he jumps, he'll be turning upside down!
If he is next to a surface that is not grassy, he won't be attracted to it..
He would be fighting and collecting items in an epic quest ..
That was just a suggestion. :D
geckojsc 14 years ago
  So, an RPG it is then!
Here's my rule for this project: whenever there are arguments over roles, collaborate! So me and Marc will both set to work on the engine, and if anybody wants to help us then all they need to do is ask. We are now ready to choose some roles!
Hexicube 14 years ago
  ok then I don't mind that much (OMFG WHY?!?! XD)
jp 14 years ago
  Don't go too fast :) I think gecko is the leader on this project (he's taking the final decisions after the votes) and I also think is the best person for the engine.
Hexicube 14 years ago
  alright cool :D
this game will be so awesome :)
[edit] actually an action RPG not a turn based one would fit me I like constant battle :D
[re-edit] I do need some graphics for tiles
grass
rock
pavement
etc.
and walls
and transition between them
murtaza64 14 years ago
  I think you can handle the basic game engine, but other people could to graphics and music.
Hexicube 14 years ago
  turn based RPG sounds good!
can I handle the game file?
lololol 14 years ago
  it could be nice if a mix between the games where made.
murtaza64 14 years ago
  RPG/turn based, And I really hope the theme could be something with characters: Hog[HP], Turtle[RT], Car[JG2] Monocled Man[CDvZP], Mr. Gray Dude(or something)[push], Block[BB], Circle[CbCl] etc. etc. etc.
gameinsky 14 years ago
  We voted yes for

@ An RPG of some sort. (most votes are for that)

Ahroo, I talk about the "co-op undone" that is good, then you just need an engine and add a few aditional things and then start the enemies and the player.
jp 14 years ago
  I vote yes for RPG (turn based).
Sillius 14 years ago
  I think the battlesystem should be a bit like this http://armorgames.com/play/5003/arcuz xD

and I vote yes for the adventure category :D
Ahroo 14 years ago
  Hmmm...

Quoting gameinsky:

"If it's going to be RPG Ahroo will have good ideas !
He is making one on RT, but I don't think he will ever finish it as making an rpg + aditional shop requires a month of pathing..."

Why thank you, gameinsky! but, are you talking about my collab of Turn-based 2 or Delterexia? :/

I votezor Adventure RPG, the most ambotious of them all! I can perhaps throw in drawings when my friend's(Skitty22 on Deviantart) scanner is fixed?

@demonicyoshi, I totally forgot about Pokemon Rumble... :S

I still prefer turn-based gameplay over real time strategy. xD
Gamemaster 14 years ago
  I also vote for an Adventure RPG.
demonicyoshi 14 years ago
  Okay, its time to vote!

The first idea for a category is an "Adventure RPG" game.

All i favor vote now! If a majority votes "yes" then we will begin discusion with this category. If the majority rules "no" then we will begin discusing another category to consider.
Hexicube 14 years ago
  no that would be a waste
Sillius 14 years ago
  Then... How about we open a completely different topic where we vote for this?
And when we're finished we'll have Gameinsky delete it xD
Hexicube 14 years ago
  we need to agree on something first we have too many ideas :S
we could decide on features then a style later
I think it should be a side-scroller and multiplayer
murtaza64 14 years ago
  How about a sidescroller kinda like Super Mario 63!
It's quite big, but it's really fun.
It could be done with the entire BL working on it.

And I'm quite good with Paint and Paint.NET
THeNiNJa 14 years ago
  I thought of a LBP-like game too! It should be possible to remake the engine for the LBP Prototype (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQLDNmllbiU) ..
A BL online game would be even cooler :)

(Ultimately a LBP-styled multiplayer online game, in which you could edit multiplayer-style too)
zodiacra 14 years ago
  What about Jump Gear 3 (3D) with multiplaye like TrackMania!
Ohh, and a gravity changer!

Or something like LittleBigPlanet! I have and it's AWESOME!!!
jp 14 years ago
  I think that the idea "A platform game that plays with gravity" is interesting but it looks like a 1 or 2 men people project, not 5 people. So far the RPG is the only idea that could give work to evey body.
The engine is done by one man, the editor can be done by someone else, and you can have 3/4 people working on designing/drawing the different kind of tiles, weapons, ennemies, items, buildings, and so on...

I don't think the graphics should be too much complicated, you can find a nice style that is stil doable by everybody (example : red buttons!)
Hexicube 14 years ago
  I have done that in sphere easier than the pokemon style
  but chosing from a list and waiting is not relistic.

in pokemon rumble, you can move in any direction and atack anytime you want. And the entire level is the battle feild, it does not break into a separrate scren for fighting.
Hexicube 14 years ago
  I never said identical to it and pokemon is multiplayer
  no, dont do it like pokemon, then you cant easily have multiplayer. It needs to be like Pokemon Rumble, open fighting.
Hexicube 14 years ago
  if we are going to do it like pokemon do the game in sphere it'll be a lot easier to put in a fair amount of the stuff! like movement and '3D' walls...
gameinsky 14 years ago
  And maybe speaches for the enemy, so he does somethings funny like a machine box saying (I wholy tought that up on school)"Threat detected, loading defence program, loading shield.
Loading catchphrase.
Loading complete: you are an idiot and will never win!"
geckojsc 14 years ago
  [note] This was in reply to gameinsky's comment.

We could have a battle system like that, or we could have a roguelike-style battle system. If you want to see what I mean, check out this boss battle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCAJUByN864

Also, we could have a scripting engine for creating speech and actions. Each object has certain properties and actions, and you can assign a name to each one. Player is a special object, and stage is a special object.

player:speak:Hello!
bob:speak:Oh, hi! What's up?
player:speak:Nothing much.
stage:shake
player:jump
bob:jump
stage:brightness:3.1

Action sequences could be triggered by switches that are activated when stepped on. Switches could only activate once, or activate every single time they are stepped on.

I suppose if the scripting system was too complicated we could make a Scratch-style drag-and drop timeline.

Flash game development

First post of the topic

geckojsc 14 years ago
  Want more info? Check the project's Google Code page.

Latest News:
We are now looking for roles. We have some coders (although we could do with a few more), and we need some spriters to make some good graphics.

Also, we have not yet decided whether the RPG will be turn-based or real-time. I would prefer turn based, but we should have a vote.

-----------------------

Last night I thought "Wouldn't it be nice if everybody on the whole of BL got together to make one big game?" So, this is what this topic is about. I think that all the programmers, all the musicians, all the artists, and all the other dudes on BL should all team up, and by the end of the year we will have a really good game!

I don't think this is over-ambitious, because there are at least five coders on BL, and certainly a few good graphics people and musicians. All we need is people willing to take part. To start off, I think we should all have suggestions for games. If you can't think of anything, then you can simply agree with somebody else's suggestion so I can get a measure of how popular the ideas are.

3..2..1... Go!
Our free flash games   Games for your site   Games for your iPhone   Contact   Twitter @jpsarda & @bonuslevelorg