Play the games, create the levels

Topic, The 2010 BL Game Collab!

Checkout our iPhone & iPad games!

You must register or log in to post a message.

Ahroo 14 years ago
  Meh, everyone has their own opinion. :/
gundu 14 years ago
  This kind of game are great but not for BL/Level editor IMO :S
Ahroo 14 years ago
  Actually, remember Super Mario RPG turnbasing? there was practically a sprite for every attack, it was awesome! 8D

Not that we have to do that here, we could re-use some sprites.

Also, maybe you can make a box for quests, and toggle on wether there are any or not. :/

And other stuff. xD
jp 14 years ago
  Real time means for me complex walking animations that we are not very strong at. Turn based means you can use static images and still being fun. Something like "might and magic" could be fun. A level = a quest?
Ahroo 14 years ago
  So basically, it's:

<{[(damage dealt/damage taken) X enemies killed] - time taken}/ enemies present> X 10?

That's one heckuva formula. :/
demonicyoshi 14 years ago
  To calculate score when fighting an enemy:
damage dealt, divided by damage taken, multiplied by enemies killed, then minus time taken divided by enemies present X 10, (minimum of 0)

so lets say you fled a battle early. There was 3 enemies present you fought for 30 seconds, you dealt 100 damage, took 50 damage, killed 1 enemy.

your score would be: 1 (verry bad)

so lets say you fought the entire time. There was 3 enemies present you fought for 90 seconds, you dealt 300 damage, took 150 damage, killed 3 enemys.

your score would be: 4 (beter, but still bad)

so lets say you do well, you fought and killed 1 enemy in 20 seconds, dealt 150 damage and took nothing. you would get a score of: 148
Ahroo 14 years ago
  I was thinking of an RPG like Super Mario RPG. xD

Anyways, demonic yoshi has a point about real-time battle. I just like turn-based things more. xD

And... hmm...

Quoting gameinsky:
"Ahroo, I talk about the "co-op undone" that is good, then you just need an engine and add a few aditional things and then start the enemies and the player."

Oh, that one? not finished yet, I almost completely forgot. :S

And how about we "Game-pool" Sprites from other BL games? e.g. RT, JG, etc.

This is, after all, a BL RPG. xD
Gamemaster 14 years ago
  Well it could depend on a number of factors, maybe time it took, health remaining, or damage done on opponents.

edit: or the stuff demonicyoshi just said
  score could start at 100
minus 1 point for each tile moved, +10 for killing an enemy(varies depending of strength of enemy), and bonus points for remaining health and treasure collected.
gundu 14 years ago
  And... on what the score would be based? Health remaining?
Gamemaster 14 years ago
  We could make it so you can either start with the friendly characters or recruit them, but it doesn't have to be the same characters in each level.
  maybe we can combine tile based and free?

like if when you get within a certain number of tiles away from an enemy(3 tiles?), a fighting circle apears (10 tile diameter?) and that section turns from tile based to free movement, and all the enemies neerby(and friendly fighters) begin moving into the fighting circle.
The fighting circle will stay centered around the spot the fight began, to exit the battle, move outside the circle, and the game will return to tile based.
geckojsc 14 years ago
  Multiple fights could work with tile based movement, as long as we had special attacks that strike more than one enemy at a time, and as long as we are wise with our placement of enemies. We could also make friendly characters to help the player out.
Hexicube 14 years ago
  so it's basically the exact oppiosite of what gecko wants...ok! XD
  if its open battle, it means that fighting does not jump to a separate screen. so the fighting wouldn't be much of a diversion, as multiple enemies could fight you at once, and you dont have to kill all the enemies.

but i dont think tile based movement could suport these kinds of fights, as you need free movement to atack and dodge properly.
Gamemaster 14 years ago
  I also agree with theninja.
Elizea 14 years ago
  ^^ agree with theninja
THeNiNJa 14 years ago
  I just mean that if a level has 10 fights in it and each fight takes 1-5 minutes - completing a level will take ages.
gameinsky 14 years ago
  paper mario TTYD was an RPG and it is still fun.
(maybe because it is complex.)
But still

I like that style of RPG, maybe da ?
THeNiNJa 14 years ago
  @gecko, you mean that movement snaps to a grid? Okay - But having a turn-based RPG means that levels will be looong and boooring IMO.
Gamemaster 14 years ago
  I agree with lololol, We shouldn't make a traditional RPG that would get boring we need something that would last.
lololol 14 years ago
  does it have to be traditional? :p maybe a little twist to it.
Gamemaster 14 years ago
  I think we should do have a real time RPG.
geckojsc 14 years ago
  Yup, it is going to be a BL game.

@marc
I give up. Let's go with real-time. I could still get mah roguelike hidden in the game, but it would just not be turn-based!

The one thing I ask is that we make the movement tile-based, because I hate RPGs that allow completely free movement.

[edit] Yes, I'd be happy with Pokémon-style graphics.
Hexicube 14 years ago
  we could do the appearance similar to the pokemon worlds
THeNiNJa 14 years ago
  Thanks Gecko. I don't know if I misunderstood something, but isn't this going to be a BL game?
Hexicube 14 years ago
  turn based takes the action out of it and is harder to code
geckojsc 14 years ago
  Yes, there are realtime roguelikes, so I suppose we could do a realtime RPG.

I don't know which to choose, so let's vote.
Hexicube 14 years ago
  i'm not sure that's just turn based look at triangle wizard
real-time
geckojsc 14 years ago
  NiNJa, that is a very good idea, but it wouldn't be too hard to code, and I think a lot of other people (including myself) have already decided to go for a traditional RPG. If anyone would rather go for THeNiNJa's idea, please speak up though.

Relating to turn-based vs real-time. If we chose turn based we would hava an entire wiki to help us!!!
RogueBasin

They have tons of developer info there. A lot of roguelike stuff can be applied to RPGs (such as monster AI, inventory management and combat)

Flash game development

First post of the topic

geckojsc 14 years ago
  Want more info? Check the project's Google Code page.

Latest News:
We are now looking for roles. We have some coders (although we could do with a few more), and we need some spriters to make some good graphics.

Also, we have not yet decided whether the RPG will be turn-based or real-time. I would prefer turn based, but we should have a vote.

-----------------------

Last night I thought "Wouldn't it be nice if everybody on the whole of BL got together to make one big game?" So, this is what this topic is about. I think that all the programmers, all the musicians, all the artists, and all the other dudes on BL should all team up, and by the end of the year we will have a really good game!

I don't think this is over-ambitious, because there are at least five coders on BL, and certainly a few good graphics people and musicians. All we need is people willing to take part. To start off, I think we should all have suggestions for games. If you can't think of anything, then you can simply agree with somebody else's suggestion so I can get a measure of how popular the ideas are.

3..2..1... Go!
Our free flash games   Games for your site   Games for your iPhone   Contact   Twitter @jpsarda & @bonuslevelorg