Play the games, create the levels

Topic, The 2010 BL Game Collab!

Checkout our iPhone & iPad games!

You must register or log in to post a message.

geckojsc 14 years ago
  I'm perfectly happy to go with real-time play, but I still think we should have tile-based battles as opposed to free moving ones.
Gamemaster 14 years ago
  I think that it should be real-time, maybe we could make a small cool down period between each move.
gundu 14 years ago
  IMO I prefer turn-based game. Here you much use a strategy to defeat the enemy but in real-time battle you can just run on your enemy and keep clicking on the attack button :S
Sillius 14 years ago
  As I've mentioned before I think the game should be real-time and not turn-based since it would be too easy to "cheat" as Elizea said and not as fun as real-time battles xD
Hexicube 14 years ago
  and that is?
zodiacra 14 years ago
  What about something like Soosiz (an iPhone and iPod touch game)
Hexicube 14 years ago
  that's what I forgot to say XD
Elizea 14 years ago
  yeah, like pokemon but without the battle-scene. you would fight in real time and not turnbased :P
Hexicube 14 years ago
  yes sorta like how pokemon works but I still think tile based movement is over-limiting
Elizea 14 years ago
  I didn't mean that when you move up, you move one tile up.

I was thinking more like zelda games...

geckojsc, ah ye... already existing characters and equipment is pretty much like a must, what would a sword look like if it wouldnt swing when you use it!
geckojsc 14 years ago
  A pixel editor is not very good if we want the character to have animations for moving. I'd rather have inventory-style character customisation. If you pick up a sword on your quest, or if you buy a blue robe at the shop, you will be able to equip it.

As for custom map tiles... This would be more possible, but very hard to code. JP did it without too much trouble in BL ringmania, so it's definitely possible, but array-to-string conversion and vice-versa is quite limiting, and that's the only way we can upload and download level data on BL.
Gamemaster 14 years ago
  I think that we should have tile based movement, with the fighting ring that demonicyoshi suggested. I also think it should be realtime.
Hexicube 14 years ago
  I don't like tile based movement because it restricts the movement too much and also it can be a hassle to code correctly :)
If there is going to be items then use 2 arrays for levels
the tiles
the items
I have got working code on how it works and should be a starting point!
Elizea 14 years ago
  I would suggest realtime, it would add a 'skill' element to the game. Otherwise it seems like a 'puzzle' game more, as anyone could complete the levels if someone tells them what to do (can you complete a jumpgear level if someone tells you how to do it? No you cant, but in BB? Yeah you can).

Turnbased would be harder to do too, I guess.

For the characters I would suggest somekind of small (50x50pixels) area where you could do a small hero a bit like in paint.

Map shouldn't be hard, you could make it with the pixel idea too, so you could make custom tiles on the world, or use already existing tiles from the server.

Those are just my personal suggestions and opinions :)
Gamemaster 14 years ago
  I think that there should be a mission for each level. The mission could be kill a specific enemy (or enemies), kill a certain number of enemies, collect a specific item, deal a certain amount of damage, get in a certain number of battles, find a specific ally, etc. Or it could be do as much things as you can in a specific amount of time, or steps.
jp 14 years ago
  Good luck to make a decision gecko. anyway whatever you choose aomng all these suggestions, I strongly suggest to start with something very simple, and to add more features.

And I think that gundu is not wrong when saying that RPG is not totally suited to BL so before going further, I suggest thinking about what will be a "level" in the RPG. My suggestion was : a level = a quest/storyline (a goal), a map, custom items, custom characters. That means in the level editor you can create new maps, new characters, new items, and a storyline.
murtaza64 14 years ago
  I actually think turn based would be better; real time reminds me too much of AQworlds.

And like I said before: I could be an O.K spriter.
Gamemaster 14 years ago
  gecko, you are the head of the project so all final decisions have to run through you. I'm pretty sure nobody would be mad if you went against the majority, as long as you have a good reason.
geckojsc 14 years ago
  I would still rather have tile-based battles. In real time, it means evey battle has a bit of action and a bit of skill required. There are plenty of ways to work you way around being surrounded. We could invent a dodge skill, or have special 360 degree attacks, or make it so that enemies can miss you and hit eah other. Maybe we could detect how many enemies you are fighting, and depending on that variable we could make the battle easier or harder, or make it more likely to get a special move.
Sillius 14 years ago
  It could be great if it were kinda puzzly like Zelda or THeNiNJa's Adventures of Bubbly and still got that real-time battle xD

Ahroo try this http://armorgames.com/play/5003/arcuz it's an excellent example of how fun real-time battle can be :D
Ahroo 14 years ago
  Meh. still like turn-based things more than real time battles. xD
Gamemaster 14 years ago
  @Ahroo, we might be able to pull it off, we have many people working on it.

@demonicyoshi, thanks for the compliment on my idea.
Ahroo 14 years ago
  Hmm... There are some crazy ideas here... I dunno if we'll be able to pull this off before 2011. :/
demonicyoshi 14 years ago
  well i think my edit mostly answers Ahroo's question..

On Multiplayer There could be a limit of 6 to prevent huge brawls, once someone within the circle dies or walks out a bystander who was excluded would be enabled to enter the circle.

But gamemaster's idea is aso exellent!
Gamemaster 14 years ago
  I have an idea that is another compromise, if the circles diameter is in each level and there can be a diameter to player ratio. That way if people want a huge brawl they just go to a level with a large fighting ring.
Ahroo 14 years ago
  I understand now. It's clever. However, what if people decide to get into huge brawls that possibly fill the circle? :/

It wouldn't be any fun to be restricted or jettisoned from the circle. :/
  i'll make an animation to show you this concept, but it wont be done until a few days...

EDIT: we could set a limit to the people that can enter the fighting ring, maybe 6, including the player. this would also work well in multiplayer as it would prevent huge brawls from occuring, And it would be easy to join a fight.
Ahroo 14 years ago
  Obama is giving the State of the Union Adress!!! 8D

Anyways, I have no idea what you're saying, can you simplify your concept?

EDIT: now I get it. That's clever, but also very unstable. What if everyone floods into the circle, enough to fill the circle entirely?

This could cause major lag, and possibly crashing? "O_O"
Gamemaster 14 years ago
  Yes I agree, I was actually trying to think of a compromise like it.
  so does anyone agree with "The DemonicYoshi Compromise"? i never got an opinion yet...

THE DemonicYoshi Compromise-
SPOILER

NOTE- I could make an animation of this if you dont understand, please do not vote "no" if you dont fully understand my compromise.

Flash game development

First post of the topic

geckojsc 14 years ago
  Want more info? Check the project's Google Code page.

Latest News:
We are now looking for roles. We have some coders (although we could do with a few more), and we need some spriters to make some good graphics.

Also, we have not yet decided whether the RPG will be turn-based or real-time. I would prefer turn based, but we should have a vote.

-----------------------

Last night I thought "Wouldn't it be nice if everybody on the whole of BL got together to make one big game?" So, this is what this topic is about. I think that all the programmers, all the musicians, all the artists, and all the other dudes on BL should all team up, and by the end of the year we will have a really good game!

I don't think this is over-ambitious, because there are at least five coders on BL, and certainly a few good graphics people and musicians. All we need is people willing to take part. To start off, I think we should all have suggestions for games. If you can't think of anything, then you can simply agree with somebody else's suggestion so I can get a measure of how popular the ideas are.

3..2..1... Go!
Our free flash games   Games for your site   Games for your iPhone   Contact   Twitter @jpsarda & @bonuslevelorg