Play the games, create the levels

Topic, Game "Obscurity"

Checkout our iPhone & iPad games!

You must register or log in to post a message.

geckojsc 9 years ago
  I will possibly not start stopping not not working on the game soon.

edit: Wow GL that level is really cool! Good aesthetic and choice of colours. The lava parkour was awesome :)
Feedback: the blue key is really far away and there's nothing to do after you get it other than head to the exit (makes the end of the level a little boring). Also, you might want to add some consistency to the doors (if A goes to B, then B should go back to A)
gameinsky 9 years ago
  Once gecko stops not working on it xD
Treazer 9 years ago
  I wonder when this game will be finished...^^
gamelover101 9 years ago
  There, I just moved the key to the top of the tunnel. Thanks for finding this :P
gamelover101 9 years ago
  Hmm...
SimonM 9 years ago
  You can get to the finish quite early (you can get the blue key by falling down into the fan to get next to it, so without the need of the red key.
gamelover101 9 years ago
  Quoting Treazer from Game "Obscurity"
Whee! That was fun :D
Great to play an Obscurity level again :)
Highscore, btw C:
I tie you! >:O
Treazer 9 years ago
  Whee! That was fun :D
Great to play an Obscurity level again :)
Highscore, btw C:
gamelover101 9 years ago
  New-ish level I forgot to post: Escape In Twilight (Obscurity)

For non-testers: http://x0.no/g3mj

SPOILER
CubixIII 9 years ago
  oh.........
gameinsky 9 years ago
  It's not done, that's why it won't end.
CubixIII 9 years ago
  how come GIS' level won't end?
I can't figure out what facility it talks about...

Quoting gamelover101 from Game "Obscurity"

Who would make a level with tons of elephants, quintapi etc next to each other?

Great idea! XP

Why, John Cooney of course!
geckojsc 9 years ago
  Yep, there's a limit on how large a URL can be (level codes are entirely stored within the address, instead of on a server)

Embeded images tend to result in really big level codes.
Treazer 9 years ago
  Unfortunately, I can't, there'll be a grey screen. It's because of the level code, I'm sorry.
CubixIII 9 years ago
  Could you make the cookie level on the non-tester version?
gamelover101 9 years ago
  Nice, psychomaster!
psychomaster 9 years ago
  http://goo.gl/rc6YZf <-- Quick gate tutorial I made.
^_^
geckojsc 9 years ago
  Me too, I really need to trim down on planned features, focus and get a move on with development.

I've been doing some reading on video game architecture. I'm constantly reminded how the obscurity code could be made so much more efficient, and as always I'm torn between the balance of how to write code that works and how to write code that's clean and elegant.

I'm hopefully not about to make any radical changes to the codebase, but there's some huge productivity killers in there. E.g. One class per entity, with each entity having it's own custom-written behaviour (except a few shared components for stuff like flight and physics). I checked the other day and there's like 7 different steps required just to create a working entity in the game and level editor.

Though to a point I feel like this is the best I could do with the tools at hand, without resorting to masses of configuration files and over-engineered code (or worse, putting the burden of editing JSON and XML snippets onto the people designing the levels)

Anyway, I shall finish adding fish and acidic liquid tomorrow. :)
psychomaster 9 years ago
  So exited for the official release. ^_^
Treazer 9 years ago
  That wasn't intended, sorry ^.^
geckojsc 9 years ago
  Wow that level made me hungry
Treazer 9 years ago
  Haha, yeah, I'm sorry ;)
gamelover101 9 years ago
  so THAT'S where my cookie went. Dang it :(
Treazer 9 years ago
  I made a small animation test level: COOKIES NOMOMOM und (Obscurity) :D
Treazer 9 years ago
  Acid and underwater enemies! :D
The new feature is really nice, btw. Well done! :)
CubixIII 9 years ago
  Portals? I feel like making a level with several layers on it, and I need portals to transfer to each layer.
geckojsc 9 years ago
  Custom animations are now implemented!
They share graphics with the custom tilesheet. Create a custom animation entity from the menu and then edit the properties.

You have to provide a comma-separated list of frames that your animation will have. Each frame on the sprite sheet is 12x12 pixels, and the first frame is number 0.
You can also have larger frames (24x24, 48x48, etc.) using the width and height settings (which will also change the frame numbers accordingly)

What should I work on next?
SuperMario 9 years ago
  And I have Limbo as my wallpaper. :D
Treazer 9 years ago
  This is amazing, Gis! :D
SimonM 9 years ago
  Awesome use of the npc sprites I gave to gecko, also nice limbo effect.

Games forum

Play Game "Obscurity"

First post of the topic

geckojsc 10 years ago
  Latest news:

Hi guys, I'll hopefully be starting the test phase some time this week.

If you're not a tester, you can still check the game out and share your small levels using the public beta page (if the links become too big, they won't work).

obscurity.html

If you have any cool story ideas or level concepts, that require a certain feature to be implemented, let me know and I'll consider adding it.

There's now a topic for feature requests
Our free flash games   Games for your site   Games for your iPhone   Contact   Twitter @jpsarda & @bonuslevelorg