Play the games, create the levels

Topic, Game "Neon Defence"

Checkout our iPhone & iPad games!

You must register or log in to post a message.

Elizea 13 years ago
  marc, you will find a way to make the pathfinding smooth and unlaggy in open area. You will learn it as you make the game (don't expect yourself to learn nothing when you are making this).

You may not know the solution yet, but believe me, one day you will wake up with a "Aha that's the solution!" :D
Hexicube 13 years ago
  with znes open :_
gamelover101 13 years ago
  @gundu

11 fps? That's peretty low. :S
birjolaxew 13 years ago
  The game is currently in "Testing" state. This means, the game developer (In this case Hexicube) is testing the game. He has chosen a couple of tester, who are allowed to play the game and give feedback. If you go to the forum page, you will be able to see a link in the first post. Click this link to play the game outside of BL. Notice that this service is not available for all games in the test-phase, but MARC (Hexicube) tends to do it.
I_R_winner 13 years ago
  why i cannot play this ???
birjolaxew 13 years ago
  ... Why on earth diagonal movement D: You have just broken the golden rule of all tower defence games! RUUUUUUN!
Hexicube 13 years ago
  birjolaxew it also supports diagonal movement atm...and also needs to account for finding a faster routes!
gundu 13 years ago
  I got to 11 FPS! :O

SPOILER
  BTW MARC, moar tower types pl0x!
birjolaxew 13 years ago
  @MARC (This name will hunt you... FOREVAR!)
I see... I wouldn't imagine that checking up to two tiles (For the initial checking. Up to three tiles when the way-finder comes) pr. tile could cause lag, but I obviously do not know...

If we imagine that the entrance is in the middle left of a 20x20 field, the initial checking would start by checking the first tile. It would then sread from here to the three next tiles (This, and the top of the pyramid formed by the checking, is the only point in the initial checking where it checks 3 tiles), from which it would then have to check two for each (If no function is made that prevents it from going to a tile already being checked. For example, of two tiles being checked where at 1,2 and 2,3 they would both check 1,3), that would start off with 3 checks, then 7 checks, then 11 checks, etc.
AK 13 years ago
  TeamViewer? I got a new tile...
Hexicube 13 years ago
  LOL I check per-tile, the 20x20 grid can cause lag on large open areas which is where the idea probably came from...
AK 13 years ago
  LOL You have no towers....
birjolaxew 13 years ago
  I can't see how the lag would be horrible. I mean, I can understand if it was a 50x50 open field (Enter at one, spread to three, spread to 5, spread to 7, spread to 9 etc.), but sending an imaginary critter through the path shouldn't drain too much on the resources. The current problem might be that you check per pixel, and not per tile, but I don't know...
Hexicube 13 years ago
  youre not getting it, THE LAG IS HORRIBLE FOR PATH FINDING!
also, it could cause problems with creeps working out where along the path they are...
  Birjo, excellent idea! :)
birjolaxew 13 years ago
  Well, if you used the current system (Check the path once), you could fix the trapping. Simply check the path every time a new tower is made.

And seriously, it would be awesome... I personally hate TD's without this function.
Hexicube 13 years ago
  birjo that allows 'trapping' creeps...
im not adding it, too much lag and complications and stuff...
birjolaxew 13 years ago
  What if you would do it this way:
Once the player places a new tower, erase the path information (To be explained later).
Set the first critter as a "way-finder", checking which way it could move (Check whether it can move up, down, or to either side). Then add linked information to that tile, which gives the available options on to the next critter. If more than one way is possible, choose at random. If another critter chooses another way, it will register that it is at an "un-explored" tile, and act as a way-finder. The following critters would then simply read the information on the tile they are at, and tween to the next available tile.
Hexicube 13 years ago
  no, I mean it WOULD be laggy...the lag when first setting up the path is bad enough...
  It ain't laggy!!! >.<

Anyways, I agree with Elizea's points, just to let you know...

Carbon Copy : Hexicube
Hexicube 13 years ago
  I cant do it anyway, the lag from checking if creeps can still go from A to B would be horrendous!
Elizea 13 years ago
  Point C does count as 98% of TD games are not open area.
Way points are quite ridiculous tbh.
And I prefer simplistic levels, idk about you.
Hexicube 13 years ago
  uh...allow me to say why:
it would be lag hell for placing towers(cant block)
point C doesnt count, Canyon Defence already done it, as well as Desktop Tower Defence
point D doesnt apply, waypoints already allow this
point E doesnt apply, minimalistic levels imply the level designer didnt try
Elizea 13 years ago
  What about making it "open area td" where you make the path for the creeps with towers. It would

a) give more creative ways to complete levels
b) give more replayability to levels
c) make the game somewhat stand out from the usual TD's
d) allow designers to create more complex levels
e) make minimalistic simple levels stand out
f) make less work for you (just do some towers and few tiles to the editor to choose from, like tile were creeps walk faster or regenerate health)
g) make the gameplay more interesting

Like geoDefense swarm but with with square grid instead of hexagons.
Hexicube 13 years ago
  lol...ive improved that a bit more...
allyally 13 years ago
  Cool new laser animation,
Hexicube 13 years ago
  alright, another attempt at lag removal. this time I made the enemy selection check wait 10 frames between checks if it failed, this has no effect when the tower is created of if the tower just killed an enemy. also, charge towers now target the creep with most HP(it will check after every shot)!
note: mainly directed at Ahroo's minor lag :P

Carbon Copy : gamelover101 Shiro allyally demonicyoshi gundu Ahroo Elizea
Hexicube 13 years ago
  good...that means I have fixed the lag problem :D
allyally 13 years ago
  Seems fine to me! This is great!

Games forum

Play Game "Neon Defence"

First post of the topic

Hexicube 14 years ago
  Game is being completely remade, as of late February 2011
Latest version of game
currently has waypoint support, press enter to toggle path visibility and click to place towers!
Our free flash games   Games for your site   Games for your iPhone   Contact   Twitter @jpsarda & @bonuslevelorg