Play the games, create the levels

Topic, BL Game Ideas

Checkout our iPhone & iPad games!

You must register or log in to post a message.

Captain_404 14 years ago
  Gecko, my next game, which I've been at work on long before your post, is something similar to what you've described. And I know people will ask this, so let me just shut this down before it happens: no testers right now.

I'm planning out it's programming language on paper for now, making sure it's easy to understand. It will also have some entirely new features I've never seen implemented in other languages. Should be pretty neat!
geckojsc 14 years ago
  Ohh! I read about that in the Nintendo Magazine. It sounds awesome! The problem is, just typing 'ostrich', doesn't give you much flexebility.... You need a code to make ostrich move left by one pixel if the left arrow key is pressed. High-level scripting languages can allow some flexibility but still be very simple - and like I said, there could be a Scratch-like interface to make it even more simple.

I'd love a Blockoban variant! Are you planning on making an iPhone version, or is it too early to decide yet? Btw, the OpenPandora forums announced that Adobe will be adding Flash support for ARM systems... This means I will eventually be able to access BL with a tiny computer the size of a DS!!! I wonder what playing Hog Pop is like with a stylus? :D
Sillius 14 years ago
  You know what Geckojsc... That idea can actually be made a bit more simple (I think xD)

Just look at this: Scribblenauts
Ahroo 14 years ago
  Indeed, there are many game concepts that we haven't explored... maybe... no, what I'm thinking is too ambitious.
Asforien 14 years ago
  Wow, more blocks :) I have several ideas for puzzle games but it's quite difficult to find one that players can easily create levels for.
Im 14 years ago
  Yes, that game's cool. That would be awesome. And a game like Incredibots would be cool.
Ahroo 14 years ago
  Why don't we try towards something like this?
jp 14 years ago
  Hey gecko, this is the ultimate BL game, where each level is an entire game :) :) :). I think Captain had something similar in mind.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not as ambitious as making each level a whole new game. But I've always been looking around this idea. Actually what I had in mind first is a kind of AI scripting langauge for a boss fight game. You design a boss, its weapons etc... and you design also its AI with a custom scripting language.

But.. this would make the level design accessible only to developers, not for the average joe.

By the way, I think that my next BL project will be a variant on BLockoban. The game I will be inspired from Vexed ( http://oos.moxiecode.com/examples/vexed/index.html ). And I will add more options to enlish the number of possible levels.
geckojsc 14 years ago
  WTH!? Nitpicker... Does it really matter?

Anyway, I just had an idea! Technically not a BL game, but a BL game engine! It's an easy-to-use flash-based scripting language that allows BL members to create their own games. The user would just have to add the following text to the level editor:
addObject(spaceship, Bob)
and the space ship movie clip would be added to the game and given the name Bob. Then:
if(keyPress=space){
(moveObject(Bob, 15, 40)
}
and Bob would be placed at x=15 and y=40. Get the idea?

The engine would be as simple as possible, but still allow for a wide amount of creativity. All the types of objects (man, spaceship, bullet, tree) would be created by the game author in Flash, so you wouldn't need to worry about the graphics or anything. You would use if statements and many of the features of structured programming to make it do what you want. The user would be able to implement things gravity, and friction through the use of variables.

The basic aim would be to make game creation as flexible yet as simple as possible. If the developer was good, they could give it a Scratch-like interface to make it more user friendly, or a frontend mode for people who couldn't be bothered to learn all that complex script stuff. What do you guys think?
Im 14 years ago
  Jim674, it's jp, not JP. :)
Jim674 14 years ago
  JP its Nitrome not Notrome :)
jp 14 years ago
  Yes that's fun and it's a kind of game I would love to make for BL/iPhone. But maybe without the charm of Notrome games...
geckojsc 14 years ago
  That's fun!
Im 14 years ago
  This game is awesome!
geckojsc 14 years ago
  A roguelike on BL would be really cool! The dungeons could be user-created instead of randomly generated, and it could make heavy use of the user data. Hopefully I'll make it one day!
Im 14 years ago
  I want Capsules on BL!
Please? :P
Treazer 14 years ago
  Maybe the game "Red remover"? Its on pepere too.
arrowswiss 14 years ago
  Yes we definitley need a new puzzle game.
SuperDog 14 years ago
  I want a puzzle game...Blockoban is boring
Im 14 years ago
Maybe not everything on 3d... That would be boring...

Ink Ball! :D
niimporta 14 years ago
  @Brolling: Ok

I got another game idea:

Jump Gear 3:
EVERYTHING on 3D, like the allyally level, 3-D Revolution (Jump Gear 2)
Lines on 3D, and everything on 3D...
Jster95 14 years ago
  I have an idea a bunch of little mindless things are let loose in the level and you must manipulate objects to get them to the end safely

and about the golf gundu talked about. On an old gameboy color game wario world 2 i think. There was a golf that would be a really good model for that. Even though i think the ideas been shot down.
Just sayin.
Treazer 14 years ago
  Quoting niimporta from BL Game Ideas
Here's My Game Idea:

ARCADE GAME

Watch It In Better Quality In http://asciimator.net/?module=demo&user_id=9191&clip_id=6471

Yep , Is An Asciimation.
But is A Game Idea

Niimporta,

There are already a game like this... Marc maked the game, its called Brick Mania.
Jos 14 years ago
  I've got an idea for a BL game:

Mouse Escape (the screem in the game is from above):

The goal of the game is to catch all pieces of cheese in each level. You are a mouse in this game and there are also (little) snakes who will kill you. If you die you go to the beginning or to the previous cheskpoint (like in Rolling Turtle). Each level takes place in the house (in the livingroom, kitchen garden,...); on tables, chairs and the ground; with many objects and items.

Is this a good idea JP,...?
Sword-Guy 14 years ago
  this isnt as much an idea, but more of a sugestion for jg2. you could possibly save "ghost races" that could then be played back later. i dont know how hard this would be to create. and is there any free game developing program? i would want to learn some code.
gameinsky 14 years ago
  I wish a pro game designer wil come here...
Like jiggmin!!!
jp 14 years ago
  @Ratman, yes of course it's a good idea, but as gecko just told, it requires a lot of time and money.
geckojsc 14 years ago
  Ratman, online multiplayer games are incredibly hard to make, and there is often a lot of money involved, what with all the servers and stuff (I suppose you could use something like SmartFox server or Nonoba, but this is far from perfect) it is very hard to test for bugs when you need to be playing against a real person, and there are tons of other problems and difficulties that I can't be bothered to mention...

I'm pretty hopeful that one day an online multiplayer game will come on BL, but it won't be for a very long time...
Hexicube 14 years ago
  There is a 'golf' setting for score(convieniant name for a golf game)
Ratman 14 years ago
  ummm is that a good idea

Flash game development

First post of the topic

geckojsc 15 years ago
  Right, I have some good ideas for BL games, and I'm writing them down here so I remember them and people can comment on them.

So, there's my Music game that I started, but the progress on that has been paused until I finish Path 4 Mouse.

And also, I have an idea for a creature battling game, a bit like the arena mode in Spore Origins. You get your own creature, and to get parts and stuff for your creature you must beat other creatures and earn points.
Every level is a battle against a different creature.
In the editor you can make creatures as levels, so that others may battle against them.
This game will require lots and lots of knowledge, but I know from looking at the documentation, that the BL API is capable of something like this.
Our free flash games   Games for your site   Games for your iPhone   Contact   Twitter @jpsarda & @bonuslevelorg