Play the games, create the levels

Topic, Game "Captain Dan v Zombie Plan"

Checkout our iPhone & iPad games!

You must register or log in to post a message.

iamstormtrooper 15 years ago
  why do people put @ in front of other people's names? identification?
-
Oh, and JP, its too bad itll take a while for checkpoints! :( Kinda wishing for it tho! :)
-
Today's the 18th! Why am I not an official member? Does it go from exactly when you made account?
Jac1 15 years ago
  He used 12 zombies following the same path.
alex98779 15 years ago
  woo hoo go geckojsc *whisper* how did you manage it?
geckojsc 15 years ago
  @Shiro:
I managed to make zombies that need to shot more than once.
Check out my level '12 Lives Each'.
I might use it as a boss at the end of my next level.
alex98779 15 years ago
  @oggologgo I dont like that idea but i'm not criticizing that idea and 1 more idea... viruses, to make you loose health and you should have a life bar so the virus takes away from that!
murtaza64 15 years ago
  good point, a wall that you can break by shooting it (this can come in handy in surprise attacks)
Shiro 15 years ago
  Mabey zombies that have to be shot more times?
oggologgo 15 years ago
  idea: ammo, you only get certain amount of ammo, but can find ammo on the level
PaulWalrus 15 years ago
  how about a water tile where you slow down but not zombies?
jp 15 years ago
  About the awards, game creators can't yet set their own awards for their game. If you want to suggest awards for this game (a score achievement overall the game, or on a specific level, or a nb of levels/official levels to complete), let's create a new topic on the forums. I think it's beter to wait a litte to see what the best players can achieve before setting an award, in order to adjust the difficulty of the award.

@iamstormtrooper, believe me checkpoints are a pain to setup because it requires to save the state of your progression and to be able to go back there. If the game has not been developed with this in mind from the begining, this will be a big pain. It's better to wait a little to see how the game turns before developing such a feature.
  Hey, it's whatever floats your boat! :)
-
I especially want you to look into the checkpoint thing, because ALL of my levels are long in the sense of going back and forth, or getting the gun is the LAST part of the game, any other ideas all came from other people. But it still would have been cool to make them! For the crumble floors, its not too much to animate, just use the death scene from getting caught, and use that, and have him fall in a sense that mario does. For all the other reasons, I can sympathize the reasons of having the game being laggy, especially in the elevator sense. But hey, as said before, it's whatever floats you're boat. Although, I think the Tile Traps could probably fit PERFECTLY to this game's interface, because this game goes by a tile to tile sequence in movement. Other than that, I can agree with everything else. What I'm saying about the movement tile in programming sense, is that it's probably meant so that the player CANNOT move while in this sequence, so you PROBABLY wouldn't have to worry much about the engine breaking, because it's its own sequence of programmed events, but thats as far as I'm aware of. I don't know the actual script in this game, and I never will, but maybe you can enlighten me one day about the basics when you're not busy.
-
Speaking on behalf of everybody, make insight on some of the things mentioned above ESPECIALLY checkpoints, but if it bothers you, don't worry about it. :)
Captain_404 15 years ago
  I feel you all probably deserve a good response by now... warning: I'm going to say "no" a bunch.

The first thing you really have to understand is that at this point the game is basically done. It's on the front page, not just in public beta. Additionally, I'm working on a separate version to place on other sponsor sites to drive traffic to bonuslevel, meaning new features will be double the work for me.

Awards: This is mostly up to jp. As I understand, it's a feature of the site and not of the game itself. And in any form, I certainly can't add them.

Ground Types: Crumbling ground requires me not only to add new programming to the game engine, but also 3D animation for both the crumbling ground and a different 3D animation for the player's death. This is not at all easy as I don't have any 3D animation program, everything in this game comes from animating 3D characters on a 2D plane.

Adding speed tiles means that I would have to reevaluate my entire physics system simply to make sure that running into a wall while on a speed tile won't break the engine.

Dog/Kamikaze - A dog would be practically impossible for me to animate, due to the reasons listed above. Most of the 3D here is faked in such a way that I'll only have to animate very few frames of the rotation, the rest is handled by Flash's motion and shape tweens. Just making the graphics for a dog zombie means animating all 360 degrees of motion. Not to mention the fact that all the legs would need to be animated, adding a whole other layer of complexity. I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

I'm not sure how I feel about kamikaze zombies. I know for a fact that their explosions would definitely slow down the already fairly slow game engine.

Coins: I'm not sure that these really have any place in CDvZP thematically. I'm afraid that graphically they would only serve to clutter the screen, and they don't serve to alter gameplay much to begin with. The main thing they affect is highscore, which is still completely controlled by how fast the player runs through the level. From a game design status, they really don't change anything, adding only more clutter to the game.

Power-Ups: These contradict the strategic nature of this game. It's not a game about blasting the heads off of as many zombies as you can before they eat you, it's about navigating your way through and around them. It's about using your mind to conquer their superior numbers and strength. I'm not opposed to powerups, but the ones mentioned break that element of the gameplay and make the game more about destruction than stealth.

Elevators: A nice idea, but basically unnecessary. Any function carried by an elevator can already be handled by the teleport tile.

Checkpoints: I agree, there are some levels that need this, but at this point it takes to much programming to implement. Maybe once I'm able to take a break from programming the game I'll feel ready to launch into creating something like this, but at this point I'm just too tired of programming it.

I realize that this post is fairly negative, and so I'm sorry for that. I really do value your suggestions, even the ones I find impractical ;)
  STOP! Man so many ideas! Just start one by one.
-
1) Ground Types = Crumble/Speed (Ground is trap/Speed causes to move in one direction till you stop.)
2) Zombies = Kamakaze/Dog (Kamakaze explodes - Can damage walls and blow up other zombies?/Dog can detect location from around corners? [depth of detect = 1 wall)
3) Coins (Coins just take off 1 sec of time? Or make a score instead of time; or add time to final score?
4) Power-Ups? (Speed/Slow(trap)/Invinsibility or/and Invisibility for 3-4 secs?/Walk via walls/Touch zombies and they die?
5) Elevators? (Although it's a good idea, I'm sure that it would be a horrible thing to program, and it would cause the game to LAG and would have to limit the things you could put on levels, as well as how many levels you can put.
6) CHECKPOINTS (I would LOOOVE it if there was Checkpoints here! :)
minimariner 15 years ago
  there should be a award where you like kill a certain number of zombies, or if you have coins, have like a award when you collect like 3000 coins in total (not in one level, in the whole game)
alex98779 15 years ago
  And maybe coins to loose seconds!
metakirby22 15 years ago
  or awards. Or elevators (which I understand would be very har to add).
afunnyacorn 15 years ago
  or like a ground where when you step on it, it breaks under you so you have to move fast or you'll fall
doomlord 15 years ago
  What about a kamakaze zombie that blows up when it gets close and sees you and blows up when you shoot it.
PaulWalrus 15 years ago
  Make a dog zombie. That would be cool.
-
Also, what would be cool is a speed pad (Like, when you step on the pad, it pushes you in one direction, and you cant stop until you hit a wall (And you can spin too while on the way).......It's kinda like that thing in pokemon. :) For those who play it.
So you have a directional pad also, or something like that.
murtaza64 15 years ago
  A GLITCH********
on the level Hospital (Captain Dan v Zombie Plan) the last sprinter runs away and the second time there is a flashing zombie, half medic half sprinter*****************and on Very hard (Captain Dan v Zombie Plan) the same thing happens************
doomlord 15 years ago
  What about a window-ish wall where the zombies can see you, you can't shoot and no one can pass through it. Then maybe a barrier only you can pass through, but you can't shoot through it and zombies can't see through it either.
Captain_404 15 years ago
  Sure, a timer and zombie counter shouldn't be hard to add.
gameinsky 15 years ago
  captian , could you add a timer and a zombies left board ?
minimariner 15 years ago
  if you get a checkpoint, it'll save the amount of time, and zombies that youve killed
Jac1 15 years ago
  Yeah, the're good!
Sillius 15 years ago
  Captain_404 don't remove the shots, they look f***ing great!
metakirby22 15 years ago
  @Captain404: I think the teleporter animation is causing a bit of lag in editor. I'm making a new level, a teleporter maze, and when I'm editing it, it has lag, but not when I'm testing it. I even had lag typing this message.

edit: never mind, I don't have lag anymore. I think it was just my computer
Captain_404 15 years ago
  Thanks burfy, I'll try to fix this soon.

Jac1, the line that comes from you when you fire the gun is supposed to be the bullet(s).

I'm thinking I might actually remove, it seems a bit cheesy to me...
burfy 15 years ago
  Captain_404: the MENU button is great...but clicking on it creates the selected object over the button and eventually covers it completely...
Jac1 15 years ago
  What's a "bullet shot"?

Games forum

Play Game "Captain Dan v Zombie Plan"

First post of the topic

Zakko600 15 years ago
  Can i be a tester in this game?
Our free flash games   Games for your site   Games for your iPhone   Contact   Twitter @jpsarda & @bonuslevelorg