Play the games, create the levels

Topic, Game "Moonlights"

Checkout our iPhone & iPad games!

You must register or log in to post a message.

Captain_404 15 years ago
  Ultimately what stays or doesn't stay is up to jp, but if you want to write some stuff I'm certainly not going to stop you ;)
geckojsc 15 years ago
  So, I have your permission to add a few more tracks?
I might do some strings or something...
I mixed all the tracks together in flash, and they seem to work fine.

The second track seemed to be going out of sync, but then I realized it was meant to be like that.
Captain_404 15 years ago
  Alright jp, here's the first draft. I'd like to hear your thoughts as to the direction you want it to go, or if you don't like it all.

I've kept it fairly simple to start with.

Here are the tracks:
moonlights.mp3
moonlights2.mp3
moonlights3.mp3
moonlights4.mp3

moonlights.mp3 is the base track, then the other layers should be added in the order of 2, 3, 4.

Right now it's pretty much just piano and drums, but that doesn't mean we can't add in other instruments.

Gecko, I'll post the tempo and such info in a bit. I can't really name it off the top of my head as it's very strange.

EDIT:

it's basically just two chords:

G#, F, G#, C, D#, G#
and
A#, D#, F#, C#, F#, G#

the tempo is 105, each chord last for five beats and one sixteenth note.
Lloyd 15 years ago
  Oh ok thanks :)
jp 15 years ago
  They test the game but not the levels.
The level moderators/administrators are followed by a A (or a G for the game author).
Lloyd 15 years ago
  Ah ok,
Do they also test other peoples levels?
Because they are named testers
jp 15 years ago
  Testers, they test the game, reports, first imperssions, bugs, gameplay problems, create first levels.
Lloyd 15 years ago
  What does the T After some people's name mean?
And what do they do?
jp 15 years ago
  @Silius, not for now, maybe soon for a first impression feedback.

@Captain, let's say the dead line is 9 march.
Sillius 15 years ago
  need more testers or ?
Captain_404 15 years ago
  Alright jp, I'll write the tracks accordingly.

Hopefully I'll at least have a rough draft to send you by tonight or tomorrow.

Is there a certain date you absolutely want this finished by?
Nikobam 15 years ago
  Its a really beautiful start....
But there needs to be a music turn off button i know that you will make and that you are aware of it but then music can be a lil' annoying
Yoji 15 years ago
  Thanks,
I can't wait to play it ^^
jp 15 years ago
  @captain, the sound engine is ready. It mixes any number of sound loop (2 or 3 might be enough?) with a volume depending on an "ambiance value" (Number). There is a leading track, when the sound on the leading track reaches the end, all track/sounds are restarted from the begining. So you don't need to make the sounds with the exact same length.
(2dboy corrected thx).

@Yoji, middle / end of march.
Yoji 15 years ago
  When will this game be playable for people?
Captain_404 15 years ago
  There is a certain freedom in working alone. At least while this is still in the idea/testing phase I'd prefer to work alone. Especially since key changes and whatnot can make things more complex.

Once I've finished and posted the first draft I'll be happy to send you some annotation though!

EDIT: jp, 2DBoy, not 2DPlay I think...
geckojsc 15 years ago
  Captain 404, we could work together on that! Just tell me what tempo the layers are, and how many bars are in each layer, and I will try to make a few!
I don't mind if you'd rather make it yourself.
Captain_404 15 years ago
  Alright, sound good. I'll try to whip up something. :)

Yeah, don't be afraid to say no if you end up not liking the song or thinking that it doesn't fit, I won't be offended at all!

Just so you know, I wrote the music that's in Push, so I guess I'm alright. That's really more for you to judge though!
jp 15 years ago
  Oh yes that would be great. Can you do this ?
I would like to release the game quite soon (before the end of the 4K comp). I'm not sure if we can set such a thing within this short period (deadline for the entry is 9th of march, I guess the results will be published in the middle of march). Also the song must be good ^_^ are you a good song writter ?
Anyway, even if we don't use this in the game, this will not be a waste of time as this is a very interesting experiment.
Captain_404 15 years ago
  Personally, I found the music a bit too 'pop', but I think that's really more of a reflection of my own taste in music.

Have you considered maybe instead of changing the volume of the music as you get closer to the moon, having a few different music tracks that layer on top of each other the closer you get? Similar to what happens with the music in Aether.

This would, of course, mean that you'd have to get music custom made. But if you're interested enough in going this route I might be able to make a few simple tracks if you need it.
jp 15 years ago
  OK I've added music on/off + volume sound depending on your distance to the goal.
geckojsc 15 years ago
  I loved that first one in the list, but I really don't think the game needs any other music. There are thousands of games that use the same music, and nobody really cares that much...

In your next game, your could ask me to make some music for you. After my game 'Ambidexterity', I started to make music for all of my games, and I made the music for 'Draw' by THeNiNJa, although he has not added the music yet.

Don't forget the mute button!
jp 15 years ago
  Oh, that's a problem, maybe I should find another song then. On the other hand, it's not THE music of PR2, it's just one of the 10 songs included. taht's a pity because I was quite satisfied with this music.
If you have any other suggestions, don't hesitate.
Here are some of my other alternatives :

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/197636 (another song by reasoner)
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/187506 (maybe a little bit too short/repetitive)
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/210818
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/184475
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/194555
geckojsc 15 years ago
  I was just about to say that!!!
It's a great song though.
gundu 15 years ago
  I know this music
I've already heard it on PR2 (Platform racing 2)
Im 15 years ago
  It may also happen on levels where you start on ice ( don't need to restart on those levels)

[edit]: The music makes me kinda happy
jp 15 years ago
  Thx, taht helps. I tried to reproduce the problem locally by sending a fake level restart just before, or just after the structure get frozen, but it still doesn't reproduce the problem. I will try harder.
Captain_404 15 years ago
  With much effort, I was able to recreate this bug as well jp (on Riddle)

I'm not sure, but it seems like it might be occurring when the player lands on ice and restarts the level in a relatively short time period. It's very hard to pinpoint.

I recreated it by using all the nodes, letting the structure fall onto the ice, and right before it hit the ice I'd press the reload button to time it so that it would reload right as the structure hit the ice.

I'm not sure if this is actually what's causing it though, as I only recreated it once. Hope this helps.
jp 15 years ago
  @Im, sorry I can't reproduce the problem. I tried on "Little Riddle" as you suggested as it's a very short level and easy to test. But I didn't manage too. Can you reproduce the bug systematically on this level ? If yes a detailed procedure to reproduce the bug (or a video with cam studio) wuold help.
Im 15 years ago
  @jp, it happened on Bad Ice, it has happened two times, it was exactly the same, the white line appeared, but when I click it is still there and no new nodes appear,when I click again,still nothing happens

[Edit]: Yay, bubbles!
[Edit]: It happened on A Little Ride too
[Edit]: It looks like it happen when you restart after being frozen

Games forum

Play Game "Moonlights"

First post of the topic

jp 15 years ago
  I'm working on a game for the 4K Flash game competition (not a lot of money to earn but sounds like a very fun competition). I plan to submit here a full version of the game soon here.
Our free flash games   Games for your site   Games for your iPhone   Contact   Twitter @jpsarda & @bonuslevelorg