Play the games, create the levels

Topic, Pixelized - Official Thread

Checkout our iPhone & iPad games!

You must register or log in to post a message.

birjolaxew 13 years ago
  I know AS aint no lego's but to be honest, I thought it would ease it, knowing Python... Apparently it didnt... Or maybe it's just me, that's only read a single chapter of the book... Yearh, that's probably it...

And MARC, that would be awesome! But I understand you're busy with your own game :D
Hexicube 13 years ago
  LOL first time AS complexity has been linked to lego :P
I would actually offer to create a starting point(tile laying and BLAPI functions) but im a bit busy with my own games right now...
Ahroo 13 years ago
  yeah, thought you'd say that. AS ain't no legos. :p
birjolaxew 13 years ago
  I'll have to set the estimated testing release time as invalid :/
I completely underestimated AS, and I would like to make a minor, simple game, to test things.

And as for the scoring, everything is possible!
Ahroo 13 years ago
  Why not a combonation of both? :/
Hexicube 13 years ago
  well you just need to link it up properly...if done right the possibilities are endless
also, I would reccomend planning out what items you would like and pick the best 15 or so to include
you could also have buttons that link to multiple things, rather than just one thing like in traditional BL games(RT,HP,JG2,CDvZP)
[edit] scoring could be based on health, assuming you have enemies, or even a factor of all 3
birjolaxew 13 years ago
  Scoring: Either time based, or how many blocks you've used. Should be a simply counting, or adding 1 every time the player places a new block.

Editor: List of available blocks (Taken from the actual game), which can be placed on a grid. It's then a matter of telling the XY coordinates of each block, and the blocks type to the game.
gameinsky 13 years ago
  The editor is probabely the hardest, since you have to make an engine that generate items, giving each item a name so they can react.
Hexicube 13 years ago
  not really...you need to add a bunch of functions to handle the scoring for the levels, and to send data to/from the editor/game
birjolaxew 13 years ago
  I'm going to use BLAPI, and as I see it, it's rather easy.
I mean, it's simply a matter of XY positions to port a level from the editor to the actual game.
Ahroo 13 years ago
  It's gonna have an editor, so it's gonna have API in it... and another version without AP might be made, too. :/
Hexicube 13 years ago
  might mean he will get feedback from BL, not neccesarily use BLAPI...
I find it an important choice, each with ups and downs:
with BLAPI you have the trouble of creating levels and saving scores handled for you, provided that you do a variety of things. you must create an editor, level parsing code for both the game and editor, code to save the level when editing, code to save scores when playing, and ensure you follow important rules in the documentation...
without BLAPI you have much greater flexibility in designing your levels and creating a storyline, which could benefit this sort of game, as well as not needing to create an editor(you should make a basic one for making the levels though), however this requires you to make every single level unique in its own way, which is easier to achieve as you can create special items or tiles only ever found in a certain spot or area.
[edit] on a more personal note, not using BL has a rather unique oppurtunity...mods
im experimenting with such modding methods, even though you created the game if you make it just a huge area generated by code then mods could give it that little extra twist as well as people who play your game feel as though they contributed to it. in flash its incredibly easy to create mods through the use of text files, and this also allows editing of a specific item without compiling the whole thing again, as well as easier to create new things in seconds...literally!
demonicyoshi 13 years ago
  Of course he is =P

"Where will it be released?
Right here, on BonusLevel."
Hexicube 13 years ago
  curious question: are you going to use the BLAPI?
Ahroo 13 years ago
  Don't worry, DY! I'll make them and verify rule 34! >:p
demonicyoshi 13 years ago
  Im not going to have the graphics until next week or lator... But it seems that you wont mind since your going to Canada...
chris3000 13 years ago
  why don't you all discuss this in the chatroom, xP
Ahroo 13 years ago
  yeah... well, birjo's been 'dead' for a year or so, cut him some slack! xP
Hexicube 13 years ago
  Ahroo, isn't it your job to nag him for said excuse as you did to me?
Ahroo 13 years ago
  [cIass=orly]O RLY?[/class] :p
Hexicube 13 years ago
  lol...birjo stole my excuse!!!
Ahroo 13 years ago
  Canada? where, I COULD come visit you. xD

... Or you could just visit gundu. xD
birjolaxew 13 years ago
  I might have to scrap the release dates later, due to personal problems (Classic excuse FTW). Really, not only do I have quite a lot of trouble here in Denmark, but I'll have to plan my trip to Canada in late January. I'm going to live there for half a year, and it'll possibly cut down on my activity quite a lot. I'll try to post here as I get along, and inform you with further details.
Hexicube 13 years ago
  the software was too easy...it took a lesson or two
Ahroo 13 years ago
  Yeah... You already finish 3D?
Hexicube 13 years ago
  meh I would kick your ass with AutoCAD software, I like them too much :P
Ahroo 13 years ago
  Pfft, I'm so good at this kinda stuff that I'm better at AutoCAD than everyone else in my class. ':_
birjolaxew 13 years ago
  Not much to bump about, to be honest, I'm quite slow at learning AS :/
Ahroo 13 years ago
  GWAH!

(also known as BUMP)
Ahroo 13 years ago
  Pfft, The best graphics I've made IMO are my random airbrush drawings. xD

they look like MARC's realistic things. xP

General

First post of the topic

birjolaxew 13 years ago
  Pixelized - Official Thread

What is Pixelized?

Pixelized is a future game, currently being developed by birjolaxew. It's in the development state, and - due to different obstacles - it won't be released to the public before 2011. It will probably go into testing state early-middle 2011.

What's the gameplay?
In Pixelized, the current idea is that you - the player, will be a small pixelated man trapped in a block world. Carrying specific blocks with you (Each block acting it's own way) you'll have to build your way through puzzles. A great example of the whole block concept can be found in the 3D game "Minecraft". Notice, that details can change during the development.

What have you done by now?
As of 17/11/10, I'm fiddling with the BL API, Flash and the basic game. I'll upload a "game" soon, but it won't be actually playable, and therefore I wont add any testers.

What blocks will be included?
A list of the blocks currently planned:
Dirt (Affected by gravity)
Stone (Not affected by gravity)
Mud (Not affected by gravity - Created by dirt blocks, directly touching water)
Ice (Not affected by gravity - Slippery, only available in winter mode)
Snow (Affected by gravity)
Sand (Affected by gravity - Found near bigger areas of water)
Gravel (Affected by gravity - Created by stone blocks, directly touching water)
Undestroyable (Used to block of parts of the level - Can't be placed/mined)

Where will it be released?
Right here, on BonusLevel.

Screenshots
Ahroo made us some game graphic (Great work I must say). I've put them together, to make an example of how a regular map will look while zoomed in.
Example of a map
Any way to keep track of the project?
Most certainly. I've made a blog, located here

Please check my next post for further information.
Our free flash games   Games for your site   Games for your iPhone   Contact   Twitter @jpsarda & @bonuslevelorg